Top 5 Signs That You’re in Rome

10 May

1. You see gladiators taking a coffee break.

2. The clothes dryers.

3. The view from the neighborhood bus.

4. The local version of Wal-Mart.

5. The preferred form of transport.

Part of the Top 5 Group Writing Project. Thanks to Ms. Adventures in Italy for the head’s up!

20 Responses to “Top 5 Signs That You’re in Rome”

1. Ms Adventures in Italy May 10, 2007 at 10:38 am #

I love the local Walmart!! :) He must be the door greeter, without the yellow vest.

2. Stelle in Italia May 10, 2007 at 11:18 am #

yay! must be great to be home (that view from the bus is really something! :))

3. heather May 10, 2007 at 11:24 am #

Oh how I miss it! I absolutely cannot wait to go back this summer!

4. J.Doe May 10, 2007 at 1:00 pm #

Cute post. I don’t remember the streets being so empty (almost) when I was in Rome though.

5. Shelley - At Home in Rome May 10, 2007 at 1:57 pm #

Ms: Yes, good ol’ Ascenzo, God bless him, out there everyday reading his newspaper. I swear he has pretty much everything hidden away in that hole in the wall.Stelle: Yep! I’m glad to be back. What can I say, I am hopelessly in love with this beautiful, obnoxious city. Heather: I know! You’ll be back before you know it.J.Doe: Grazie! I think I took that bus shot in October. Tourist season is getting into full swing about now though.

6. TinkerBlue May 10, 2007 at 2:59 pm #

The gladiators having a coffee break is amusing me no end. Gave me the giggles.

7. nyc/caribbean ragazza May 10, 2007 at 3:03 pm #

great photos. The gladiators chilling, crack me up.

8. Rajaram S May 10, 2007 at 4:09 pm #

for me, the first sign of being in Rome(or for the matter, italy) would be that of a broken-down building surrounded by a zillion tourists :-)When i was touring in europe, i had been to paris and switzerland and then went to Italy. it was broken buildings one after the other throughout italy :-)

9. Lifecode Sotre May 10, 2007 at 4:12 pm #

hahaha.. love your no 1 gladiators are having coffee.. can we exchange link.. love your nice blog Check out my posting on Top 5

10. Annika May 10, 2007 at 4:32 pm #

You forgot the Smart cars, which seemed to be everywhere! One of the first things we saw in Rome, on our way to Gusto for lunch, was a couple of gladiators going into a clothes shop. Such a surreal view for a foreigner!

11. Molly May 10, 2007 at 6:32 pm #

Not sure which I love more: the gladiators, the local Wal Mart, or Ms. Adventures’s grown-out eyebrows!

12. Bella May 10, 2007 at 8:05 pm #

Ahh I miss Rome! I enjoyed your post and like your blog so much I’m going to link to it! Bella

13. Mitch May 10, 2007 at 10:45 pm #

The best is being on the subway, with a gladiator on his way to the office….I do think that the view from the “commute” is one of the signs you’re just not in Kansas anymore!Can’t wait till I get back there!

14. Darlene May 11, 2007 at 2:21 am #

I might actually change my opinion about walmart here in america. :)

15. Kataroma May 11, 2007 at 10:15 am #

Those gladiators are thugs. I had a friend who used to sell tours at the coloseum and she told me that they are a “mafia”. They scare me.

16. Valerie May 11, 2007 at 1:32 pm #

Ben tornata, cara! Cute post, good job. Nice to have you back online.

17. ginkers May 11, 2007 at 3:28 pm #

Good to have you back, and nice to see some new nice pictures of Rome just to make me jealous once again.

18. Andrea May 11, 2007 at 8:42 pm #

I love Rome so much. I want to move there as soon as possible. I’ve been trying to convince my husband that Rome is better than Paris but he’s not buying it!

19. Rebecca May 12, 2007 at 7:10 am #

Love the Clothes Dryer Photo…having lived on the Continent, this brings back all sorts of memories about laundry day!!

20. JennDZ May 12, 2007 at 8:08 pm #

That is such a great list! I totally love it, and it makes me want to get to Rome the sooner the better!