Coffee Slushies at Tazza d’Oro

11 Jun

Granita

Behold. The almighty “Granita di Caffè,” a hallowed tradition around these parts, especially when summer starts to roll around and Rome heats up. I.e., now.

What is the granita di caffè, you ask? Well, they take Tazza d’Oro espresso (rumored to be the best in the city, unless you prefer their bitter rival, Caffè Sant’Eustachio) and basically it somehow becomes this icy, frozen concoction that is just… you must try it. There is NO excuse for anyone coming to Rome and not making a stop here.

It used to cost €1.50 but now it’s up to €2. Hurry!

Did you notice those layers of fresh whipped cream? Have you ever had whipped cream so thick and decadent you could practically chew it? I know that might sound weird, but that’s what this stuff is like. Very indulgent.

This is a major caffeine jolt as well. Suffering from day-one jet lag? Head over to the Pantheon and pick up one of these puppies. Bask in the Roman sunlight over at the fountain and you’ll be just fine.

Tazza d'Oro 3

There’s always, always a line at Tazza d’Oro, but it moves pretty fast. Just to the right of the cash register you can get fresh-roasted coffee beans and ground coffee. They also sell some nice containers to carry it in, and I think these make perfect gifts for coffee lovers. They are easy to pack and not super expensive for being such famous coffee (around €6 for 250 g.)

Coffee cups

They are constantly washing and re-washing the coffee cups in the special bar-sized dishwashers. I think if I had to choose a series of sounds to describe Italy, at least one of them would be the sound of these ceramic espresso cups clinking on the saucers.

Tazza d'Oro

Once you get your receipt for your granita, you need to go over to the whole other end of the bar. Just turn around, and walk in the other direction as far as you can go without leaving. In fact, you can’t read it here, but that white sign on the wall actually has an arrow telling people where to go for the granite. They are molto popular!

I won’t go so far as to say that the granita di caffè merits a trip to Rome in and of itself, but I will say that for coffee-lovers, it’s a summertime must.

And if you can’t make it to Rome…look what I found! Judy who “slaves” Over a Tuscan Stove has kindly provided us with a recipe. So now there’s no excuse not to try it. Thanks, Judy!

Tazza d'Oro 2

Caffè Tazza d’Oro
Via degli Orfani 84

(when your back is to the Pantheon, head to the corner on the far right)

About these ads

24 Responses to “Coffee Slushies at Tazza d’Oro”

1. John. June 12, 2007 at 12:47 am #

Cup of gold, indeed!

I’ll definitely be stopping by here later this month.

2. FinnyKnits June 12, 2007 at 1:54 am #

Did I make a horses ass of myself at the Arrividerci/Buongiorno bar? How come we’ve never gone for granitas? Next time. Even if it’s winter time, cold and rainy. Unless we accidently go out for Italian Hot Chocolate which is also so deliciously chewable. Maybe it warrants a post of it’s own. When it cools off, of course.

3. Isabelle June 12, 2007 at 10:06 am #

WOW ! nice new blog !
    I’m not much of a coffee drinker but when I read this, I almost want to try this granita ;-)

4. marina June 12, 2007 at 10:17 am #

I’ve been to Tazza d’Oro last year the coffee is lovely there :)

I remember being served by this gorgeous lady and for the longest time, I really would like to tell her how pretty she was. Too bad my Italian language is extremely limited.

A year later, my grasp of language is still pretty weak, but I cant wait for this Thurs when I go back to Roma again :)

5. Shelley, At Home in Rome June 12, 2007 at 10:32 am #

John: Cup of gold, I know! So funny!

Finny: OMG, we didn’t get one of these? How is that possible? BOH! Next time.

Isabelle: When you get here we will go!!

Marina: You’re coming back? Well then you can say “Lei è molto bella” if you see the lady again.

6. gillian June 12, 2007 at 10:40 am #

one of my absolute favorite things about rome…the clanking sounds from the bar! glad to know there is another fan!

7. Shelley, At Home in Rome June 12, 2007 at 12:08 pm #

Gillian: Yes, it took me a while to realize, but really, it’s a classic “sound of Italy.”

8. jessica in rome June 12, 2007 at 12:34 pm #

i always want to go there, but it is always closed when i go :( I don’t know what i am doing wrong!

9. Stacy June 12, 2007 at 3:53 pm #

Man that looks good. I loved iced coffee – whats not to like about coffee granita!

10. nyc/caribbean ragazza June 12, 2007 at 4:47 pm #

I am going through a major Roma withdrawal. Thanks for the fix.

11. ginkers June 12, 2007 at 5:03 pm #

It looks like out could lean forward and drink that granita. Oh no! Now I need some screen clean…

Love the new look, even more fitting surroundings for a top class blog!

12. odessa June 12, 2007 at 7:20 pm #

i want a coffee slush too! thanks for sharing the lovely pics, although getting iced coffee is all that i can think of right now, forget about work. lunch break, hurry up! hehe.

btw, congrats on your new blog. love the layout.

13. Sierra June 12, 2007 at 8:57 pm #

Do I need a happy face to show I subscribed? I’ve thought I succeeded…
    I’m a luddite when it comes to computers.

14. Kelli June 13, 2007 at 12:29 am #

Digging the new site Shell! Nicely done.
    And as for the coffee? I’ll take a double, minus the whipped cream. Yum!

15. Rose in Cali June 13, 2007 at 7:03 am #

Hmm..I thought I commented already. But my remark bears repeating: I’m all over the granita! I cannot wait to try one when I visit next month. My fear is that I will become addicted and suffer severe withdrawal when I go home.

The site looks bellissimo! (a?) Auguri!

16. Jessica June 17, 2007 at 7:03 pm #

So, why is the sign in what looks to be Spanish? “El Mejor Del Mundo”?

17. kiki June 20, 2007 at 6:37 pm #

That coffee looks sooooooooo good. I can’t WAIT to get to Rome in October. Love your site :)

18. Oscar April 28, 2009 at 8:05 am #

I never go to Rome without having the granita al caffé, at least once… Tazza d’Oro is Roman B.C. (beyond coffee).

Jessica, coffee, though roasted/brewed/drank here, it doesn’t grow in Rome. And what’s Spanish, if not just an Iberic version of the Latin. Remember Latin? Rome?

19. Diane May 5, 2010 at 4:38 am #

We stopped by for a coffee drink and the granita looked cool and refreshing. It was, but I could not sleep for 2 nights afterward!

I’d get one again, but it will be when I have just arrived after an 18-hour flight.

20. Aaron August 24, 2010 at 2:32 pm #

It’s now 2010 and Tazza D’Oro’s granita costs €2.50 — still a treat, but not as worthwhile (especially when you’re sitting in Rome enjoying your own homemade granita that tastes even better (honestly; I’ve had enough to know), especially since it costs less than €2.50, except you have enough granita to last 30 people at least 2 weeks (honestly — no more than 400mL of espresso, brewed in stove top “Moka” machinette, with added sugar, frozen in a metal pan, and stirred every hour for several hours until the consistency is right (the “somehow” in the author’s description of what a granita is), makes for more granita than I know what to do with. And it’s in a glass cup, and tastes as good as Tazza D’Oro. The only thing I don’t get is to people watch while enjoying my granita, sitting on the steps around the fountain in the Piazza della Rotonda.

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. Cool Beverages for Hot Days - Planning a Trip - June 27, 2007

[…] cool to drink but also a pick-me-up, you won’t want to miss a Granita di Caffè from Tazza d’Oro near the Pantheon. Shelley isn’t even able to describe the deliciousness beyond saying the coffee […]

2. bleedingespresso.com » what’s cooking wednesday: coffee granita - January 14, 2008

[…] has written about granita and also another related treat, grattachecca, in Rome and Sara can tell you how to make it […]

3. Honeymoon in Rome advice? - Page 2 - FlyerTalk Forums - September 26, 2010

[…] Near the Pantheon: Tazza d’Oro Specific to the location of your B&B, if not to your honeymooner status: Tazza d’Oro I’m sure you’ve already come across in your research, is one of the top coffee establishments in Rome. If you’re in Piazza della Rotonda and your back is to the Pantheon, then Tazza d’Oro will be ahead on the right. I’m addicted to their granita di caff con panna and is my cure all for jet leg. I saw this blog essay linked on a Slowtravel thread which gives great instructions and descriptions (although the writer does somewhat denigrate this fabulous concoction by referring to it as a Coffee Slushie): Coffee Slushies at Tazza d’Oro […]

4. Rome Cavalieri, The Waldorf Astoria Collection - Page 137 - FlyerTalk Forums - October 22, 2010

[…] Originally Posted by sk3 Tazza d’Oro If you’re in Piazza della Rotonda and your back is to the Pantheon, then Tazza d’Oro will be ahead on the right. I’m addicted to their granita di caff con panna and is my cure all for jet leg. I saw this blog essay linked on a Slowtravel thread which gives great instructions and descriptions (although the writer does somewhat denigrate this fabulous concoction by referring to it as a Coffee Slushie): Coffee Slushies at Tazza d’Oro […]