Tour del Gelato: Gelarmony

2 Aug

Gelarmony

I’ve been doing the TdG since last December, and every time I’ve told you: “yes, this gelato is good, but it’s not my favorite….”

Well, here it is… drum roll please… finally, we’re heading to my personal mecca of gelato in Rome: Gelarmony. (Do you hear the chorus of angels chanting? It’s that heavenly.)

I know gelato taste is a subjective thing. I know people will say, but I like “X” better. Well, I have to say that I’ve tried pretty much every gelato place on those famous Top 10 Gelato Places in Rome lists, and Gelarmony still wins every time in my book. And it’s not even on hardly any of those lists. For shame!

Gelarmony is a Sicilian gelateria. I cannot describe to you how incredible the flavors taste, especially the fruit flavors. All I can say is that they are pretty much identical to the real thing. I think the first flavor I ever tried here was watermelon, and I literally thought I was eating watermelon. They don’t use any preservatives or artificial colors, only all-natural ingredients, and they have a wide and interesting range of flavors.

Gelato

How are you liking all that creative action going on atop the gelato tubs? Fun, eh? So there are flavors like “Profumo di Sicilia” (Perfume of Sicily) which I think is a mix of citrus fruits, and another called “Vitamine dell’Etna” (Vitamins of Etna) which your guess is as good as mine. I settle for my old stand-by, cioccolato piccante (hot pepper chocolate) which here is called “Cioccolato del Diavolo” — Devil’s Chocolate. How very sinister!

I chose to combine that with Sicilian Cannolo. I swear to you, it tasted EXACTLY like a cannolo. It’s really amazing how they manage to do that.

Gelato

But, let’s say you don’t want to stop at the gelato version of a cannolo, you want the real deal. Coming right up!

Cannolo

Real Sicilian cannoli, prepared as you order. I’m not going to say they’re as good as Dagnino (which I still have to review one of these days), because I haven’t tried them here, but I will say that getting a fresh cannolo in Rome isn’t easy, so this is a place to add to your list if you’re a fan. Ale is definitely a fan, hence:

Cannolo

But wait! There’s more!

Gelarmony also has a concoction called “Gelato Non Gelato.” Could this be the Italian equivalent of “I Can’t Believe It’s Not Butter!” ?? I mean, if you click on that site you will see “The Kitchen of Love” (must pronounce love like luhhhhhve) with romance novel cover boy Fabio beckoning to you to enter. He’s Italian, right? But I digress. As tempting as Fabio and his Kitchen of Love are (or not), we must press on in our Tour del Gelato, into the realms of “I Can’t Believe It’s Not Gelato!”

Gelato

So this “gelato not gelato” business is like a custard, and you can get it in a cup or a cone. I’ve never tried it because I’m way too hooked on their gelato, but if I ever go through all the flavors and get bored (not likely anytime soon), it’s a comforting thought to know I can switch to “gelato non gelato.”

Another point in Gelarmony’s favor: one of the few gelaterie that offer soy-based gelato. In fact, they have an entire separate ROOM full of it, as well as frozen yogurt, in the “yogurteria.”

Gelarmony

And, the prices are normal, starting at €1,50 for a small cone (usually two flavors).

Honestly now, need I say more? I think the Gelarmony ad geniuses said it best when they said:

Ad

Nutritious, healthy, light.

Ah, yes indeedy. Quite possibly the best justification for eating gelato I’ve ever laid eyes on.

You have now been informed. Gelarmony, people. Don’t miss it.

Gelarmony, Via Marcantonio Colonna 34 (Metro: Lepanto)

32 Responses to “Tour del Gelato: Gelarmony”

1. Farfallina -Roam 2 Rome August 2, 2007 at 11:08 am #

Yumm!… Gelarmony?
    I hope October is
    not to cold in Rome
    and I can try this :)

You’re not in vacation?
    Seems like so many people
    went off on vacation today…

2. Giulia August 2, 2007 at 12:26 pm #

That gelato is too pretty to eat. :) I would hate to be the first person to eat an untouched tub and “mess it up!” lol

3. TNP August 2, 2007 at 1:25 pm #

A friend in her mid-twenties visited Rome last year with her teenage brother and were ripped off when charged 30 Euros for two single scoop cones.
    Unbelievable! So, the price you quoted here at 1.50 is amazing.

4. sognatrice August 2, 2007 at 1:30 pm #

Yum, yum, yum!!!

Just wanted to point out that the three-legged thing in the last photo, the Trinacria, is a tell-tale sign that something is affiliated with Sicily; it’s the island’s symbol (it’s on its flag and everything) and also an alternate name for la bella Sicilia :)

5. SWT August 2, 2007 at 1:34 pm #

I’m running out the door right now to try this place!

6. Jeff August 2, 2007 at 3:25 pm #

So now we know!! And it seems like a pretty convienent location too. I have Sara’s best in Milan memorized and now this one in Rome. Soon I’ll never eat lousy gelato again!!! Ha, Ha, Ha, (evil laughter)

7. Lisa August 2, 2007 at 4:24 pm #

mmm ! I can’t wait to try that! Which is the one in Rome that has like 300 flavors and is near piazza navona? there is also a candy shop? I can’t remember but the selection was huge!

8. nyc/caribbean ragazza August 2, 2007 at 4:41 pm #

sigh. heaven.

9. Sara, Ms. Adventures in Italy August 2, 2007 at 6:19 pm #

I can’t believe we didn’t get up an appetite for this while I was there, but the grattachecca was needed much more at the time!!! :)

The woman talking about the 30 gelato gave me shivers….remember, you can always refuse to pay for something and walk out! Of course, they will curse you but you probably won’t understand anyway. I would say…PAZZI!! and walk out.

10. Keeneye August 2, 2007 at 7:08 pm #

Great.

I gained five pounds just by reading this blog post.

It was worth it, though!

11. FinnyKnits August 2, 2007 at 8:17 pm #

Even if it’s raining again when I am out in December, I want to go here and have some gelato. I mean, CANNOLO and gelato. And some yogurt. And that un-gelato. AND SOME SOY gelato.

I want it all. And I’m willing to wear extra layers to offset the chilliness.

12. Stacy August 2, 2007 at 8:23 pm #

OH MY GOSH. I am so jonesing for gelato now! It is so beautiful and luscious looking. i think I either need to make a trip to paciugo or make my own. MAN it looks so gooooooooood

13. Dena August 2, 2007 at 10:37 pm #

I’m so going to eat my way through Italy! Now, I need to stop at the Gelato Spot after work, because I’m craving that cold yummy treat!

14. Wanderlust Scarlett August 3, 2007 at 7:14 am #

There’s just no getting around it.
    I’m going to gain a million pounds when I get there.

well dang.

at least I’ll be a fat and happy lass, instead of a thin and wistful one.

I awarded you with a thoughtful blogger award on my page… please drop by when you get a chance, and pick it up.

Best,
    Scarlett & Viaggiatore

15. Shelley, At Home in Rome August 3, 2007 at 11:57 am #

TNP: Wow, that is really incredible. I can’t believe how terribly bold some of these rip-off artists are. That’s the most I’ve ever heard for gelato (the previous record was 6 EUR for a small cone). I totally agree with Sara, to anyone in this situation: don’t feel at all obligated to buy it, even if it’s scooped and ready to go. That’s outrageous, just leave. It will hopefully teach them that they need to stop.

Lisa: Could it be Della Palma? I did a TdG there, here’s the link.

Wanderlust: Grazie!!

And to everyone else: happy gelato eating! ;-)

16. qualcosa di bello August 3, 2007 at 5:47 pm #

Gosh, Shelley, thanks for another tip of where to eat for my next trip!!! That place looks like it has the makings of an entire meal for me! & don’t you just love the name!

17. John. August 3, 2007 at 6:34 pm #

Oh my. We have one more visit in Rome, and F will definitely love this place. Soy gelato in Rome is a bit hard to come by (there are two right by Piazza Navona that have great soy gelato, btw).

Jeff from Puglia and I are still set to do a TdG in Lecce. There are an abundance of GREAT gelaterie there. I’m not too sad to go back after this great vacanza.

BTW. Check out the second to most recent posts over at my blog. You’ll appreciate the end. ;)

18. Britt-Arnhild August 3, 2007 at 9:28 pm #

My absolutely favorite gelato is to be found south of Rome, in Terracina at Caffe del Duomo in the old part of the town.
    It is to die for :-)

19. ekimrue August 4, 2007 at 4:49 pm #

I have finally logged on again to your blog; it is terrific. Thanks for such great information!

20. jessica in rome August 6, 2007 at 1:20 am #

Hey Shelley,
    We went here tonight and I tried the spicy chocolate, hazelnut chocolate and orange chocolate! It was amazing! Great pick!

21. sandi @ the whistlestop cafe August 6, 2007 at 4:24 am #

Mmmmm~ now I am really drooling!
    Plain old blue bell just isn’t the same. The canolli with pistachio is my favorite.
    You’re killing me!

22. Kathy August 6, 2007 at 6:05 am #

This entire post is just making my mouth water! Too bad nothing in the States can compare to gelato in Italy!

23. Barbara August 8, 2007 at 10:55 am #

I’m still searching for the best gelateria in Rome, so next time I’m there I’ll definitely check thos one out. Thanks for doing all the reasearch!

24. Gemella August 20, 2007 at 9:35 pm #

Gelarmony is definitively one of the best place to taste italian gelato in Rome, you really can’t miss it!!

25. sebs September 5, 2007 at 1:19 pm #

hai ragione molto probabilmente è il miglior gelato di Roma, ti consiglio il gusto cioccolato all’arancia..senza parole!yummy :D

26. patatafrita October 9, 2007 at 6:58 pm #

I was looking for the best gelaterie in Rome as I’ll be visiting the city at the end of october and I think I’ve just found one of them! I’ll try it, and Della palma, too, I think. Can’t wait to be there and stuff myself with “real” pizzas and gelati!

27. charleston November 6, 2007 at 7:35 pm #

We went to Old Bridge in Rome and it was heaven

28. scoutj April 29, 2008 at 4:32 am #

Stumbled upon your blog while looking for places to eat next week when we are in Rome for just a few days. Where exactly is this place if you don’t shooting me off an email? I will take your word that this is the best!

29. scoutj May 21, 2008 at 4:23 am #

Found it!!!

30. Jerome August 8, 2008 at 10:06 pm #

Gelarmony has stores in Beijing, Vancouver, Hawaii and San Diego! They are called Mondo Gelato!

31. MK June 19, 2010 at 3:28 am #

So sorry I didn’t read this part of your blog before my trip to Rome! I had some wonderful and some not so good gelato there. The chocolate with chili pepper was quite interesting; delicious in the mouth but what a rush in the throat – beware if you don’t like heat! Also, know that if you ask for a taste you are expected to buy SOMETHING – don’t just say thanks and leave! The cookies & cream is delicious but I can’t remember exactly the translation which started with an ‘s’…but the dark chocolate was my favorite though I didn’t try the fruit flavors. That’s why I wished I had read this before our trip!

32. Yetta October 6, 2010 at 5:22 pm #

We (husband and I) have just returned from Rome where we tried out previously untested gelaterias, and yup I would concur regarding the write up about ‘Gelarmony, Via Marcantonio Colonna 34′
    It is well worth doing a detour for.