Fluorescent Gym Shoes in Rome

24 Apr

That’s all. I’ve just been seeing them a lot lately. Highlighter-colored Nikes, et al. Case in point:

2012-04-23 11.21.53

Nice touch on the matching pink fluorescent stripes on shirt and … what are those? Spandex leggings? I feel the eighties coming back…

Not to worry, though. This trend surely won’t take the place of the beloved red pants.

Speaking of which, did you catch my “Christmas in March” tweet? Yes, folks. Here you have it, photographic evidence of unsuspecting victims:

2012-03-24 16.32.06

And I even saw a pair of purple pants yesterday.

It’s like a panthropologist’s rainbow of fruit flavors.

About these ads

7 Responses to “Fluorescent Gym Shoes in Rome”

1. loquensmachina April 24, 2012 at 10:47 pm #

Amazing. Another classic example of “trashy-casual!”

“Red pants” are all the rage in the US right now, at least in California. Places like the Gap can’t stop advertising red, pink, grass green, yellow, purple…I confess to having purchased a pair of true red pants, which I’m kind of embarrassed to wear because I’m well aware of the extensive documentation that has gone on. I console myself with the belief that it’s different when women wear them…I hope!

• Un'americana a Roma April 26, 2012 at 10:01 am #

Don’t be embarrassed! Are you kidding? Wear them with pride! And get someone to take a picture too! Awesome.

2. Rita V. April 24, 2012 at 10:58 pm #

Haha!! I concur w/loquensmachina! I went shopping @ JC Penney this last weekend and saw some red capris. Normally, I wouldn’t have thought twice about buying a pair for summer, but, having seen the #redpants tweets, I talked myself out of them at the time. I might just go back for them though, and save them for my next trip to Rome! ; )

• Un'americana a Roma April 26, 2012 at 10:02 am #

I’m serious ladies, get out there and work it! I would wear purple pants, I think. Or maybe grass green.

3. Barbara Zaragoza April 25, 2012 at 3:27 am #

It’s all the rage. LOL! I saw this in Napoli too.

• Un'americana a Roma April 26, 2012 at 10:02 am #

See? It’s totally what all the cool kids are doing.

• loquensmachina April 27, 2012 at 11:41 pm #

Okay, I’m working in Pompeii this summer so I should definitely bring them and strut my stuff around Campania! I’m happy for any chance to fit in. :)