Taste the rainbow

10 May

Inspired by “panthropologist” Moscerina, I continue my documentation of subjects in the wild.

It’s pretty easy to be stealthy in the urban jungle when you take a picture with your crappy cell phone camera like I do. I just pretend to be checking my messages while holding the phone steady like a camera. Do you think they’re catching on? I don’t. Not yet, anyways.

So check out dude in the yellow corduroys on my bus yesterday. Aw. I almost wanted to give him a big, bright, sunshine-y hug for his audacity in putting these pants on. Gotta love it. In fact I actually ended up sitting next to him on the bus, so I got to admire his heavy blue-ish tweed jacket too, in 70+ temps. God bless the man!

2012-05-09 10.27.39

2012-05-09 10.27.59

Then we have Mr. Blue Shoes. Kind of makes me want to start tap dancing and doing jazz hands or something.

2012-05-09 11.04.30

Actually I think these would more accurately qualify for a red velvet “smoking jacket” ala Hugh Hefner. Even though they kind of look like fancy-shmancy Tods driving mocassins with all those lil’ cleats on the bottom. Posh.

Hey–tangent–do you know the real meaning of posh? I do. One of my British supervisors at an English-language school taught me. It means, supposedly:

‘Posh’ derives from the ‘port out, starboard home’ legend supposedly printed on tickets of passengers on P&O (Peninsula and Orient) passenger vessels that travelled between UK and India in the days of the Raj. Another version has it that PO and SH were scrawled on the steamer trunks used on the voyages, by seamen when allocating cabins. Britain and India are both in the northern hemisphere so the port (left-hand side) berths were mostly in the shade when travelling out (easterly) and the starboard ones when coming back. So the best and most expensive berths were POSH, hence the term.

But then this site goes on to say how that’s not true. So, whatever. Just another useless piece of trivia for you. Yeah, don’t mention it. I’m good for tons of crap like that. We writers are full of useless, trivial information, aren’t we?

But back to our pretty rainbow. Let’s round it out with the grand finale, the stealthily-captured red pants moment. Girl in red pants! Usually it’s men but this time we find a female specimen!

2012-05-09 13.55.46

My poor, unsuspecting victims.

Go out and work your red pants magic! ‘Tis the season!

About these ads

11 Responses to “Taste the rainbow”

1. moscerina May 10, 2012 at 9:39 am #

I am so proud of 1) your kickass title which gets the vibe of red panthropology 2) your continuing support of research into the world of men who wear red (i.e any color) pants. Perhaps one day these findings will make the world a better place.

• Un'americana a Roma May 11, 2012 at 12:37 pm #

Oh, I have no doubt. Right up there with a cure for world hunger. You know, it’s a tough job, but someone’s on it…

2. Sarah May May 10, 2012 at 9:41 am #

HA!

3. Carolina May 10, 2012 at 2:33 pm #

I think they all look very stylish Shelly. Bold color is very in this spring!

4. Rita V. May 10, 2012 at 3:53 pm #

So…my computer was loading that first picture very slowly. I had the satisfaction of the Wait for it….wait for it…BLAM!!! Thanks for waking me up w/sunshine!!

5. Tam May 10, 2012 at 4:34 pm #

Funny, how do you sneak those pictures in :)

• Un'americana a Roma May 11, 2012 at 12:38 pm #

I’m shameless and equipped with a crappy cell phone camera. It’s the perfect combination.

6. Tina G May 10, 2012 at 7:45 pm #

You are hysterically funny…. I love taking ‘spy’ photos when I’m in Italy…so amazed by what I see..but not surprised!

7. alessandro May 17, 2012 at 8:24 pm #

I love American people, Have you ever visited the Lakes and Castles near Rome and the new Rainbow Magicland entertainment Park ? ciao da Alessandro

8. Robyn Wilson May 25, 2012 at 7:00 pm #

haaaaaaaa……………thats right about up there with all of the people who wear any and every color of the rainbow hair and styles that are “different/unique” for I just want to run up to them and say “Hey Thanks Alot because I really did need to see & laugh right about now”!!!! :)