It’s an Illness

8 Aug

image

First poster to greet me on my return to Rome? At the airport pharmacy, from our dear friends over at the Somatoline company, purveyors of the trusty “circumference-reducing intense abdominal night cream” for men from my previous post.

Let it hereby be known:

“Cellulite is an illness. A medicine can fight it.”

Um, ok. Good to know.

N.B. The woman in the poster has no visible cellulite, like, anywhere. Even though she’s trying so hard to squeeze it out. It’s just not there, folks.

9 Responses to “It’s an Illness”

1. Eleonora August 8, 2012 at 6:46 pm #

I told you my dear. It is not a normal cream, it is a medication!
    I still believe running (in my case), exercise, healthy eating etc, are the best solution… And no side effects! There is no way around it…

• Un'americana a Roma August 8, 2012 at 8:57 pm #

I know! When I saw that ad I immediately thought of what you said. Hilarious. I am now seriously considering looking into just what exactly is the “active ingredient” that is supposed to miraculously transform your body. In any case you have to admit that here in Italy people are a little bit obsessed with creams … especially creams that are supposed to transform your bust, butt, legs, belly… it’s a bit odd. Honey no Somatoline is going to give you benefits like the plank. Sweat=sexy.

• Eleonora August 8, 2012 at 9:05 pm #

It is just because italians are LAZY. Why do planks when you can use a CREAM?! It is so much simpler! How smart I am avoiding the gym and buying expensive creams instead! Anyway, my abs are still hurting ;-)

• Un'americana a Roma August 8, 2012 at 9:13 pm #

Oh yeah, they’ll hurt even worse tomorrow morning after a night’s sleep. Prepare yourself. It’s awesome!!!

• Eleonora August 8, 2012 at 9:17 pm #

Sometimes I think you could actually be crazier than me. But this is just impossible. Love you ;-)

2. rosann August 8, 2012 at 6:47 pm #

Is it okay to laugh at that one? What are we doing??? Humankind is terribly funny to me. So many things in this life, both in US and Italy, that send my little brain spinning.

• Un'americana a Roma August 8, 2012 at 8:55 pm #

Oh honey yes, please laugh, that’s really the only reason my blog even exists. I basically kept it going to entertain myself, then every once in a while people tell me it makes them laugh too, which makes me happy, because honestly: cellulite? An illness? Come on, now, folks. And yet, there it is!

3. Eleonora August 8, 2012 at 9:45 pm #

I did some research because I didn’t remember well how it was about that Somatoline creams.

Somatoline COSMETIC is not a medication, it is just herbs and algaes and the usual stuff, i.e. useless.

The Somatoline cream you can buy in single doses (not branded as “Cosmetic”) contains Levothyroxine, that is a synthetic form of a thyroid hormone.
    So, yes, it is actual a real medication, it contans hormones (!) and can be even dangerous.

I’ll stick with running, planks and diet, thanks!

(And I don’t feel “ILL” because I have some cellulite, I’m fantastic but only human, you know?)

4. Dee August 25, 2012 at 5:38 am #

If only that cream stuff actually worked!