Quando La Vita E’ Troppa

4 Oct

Oooh everyone loves “La Vita E’ Bella” don’t they?

And doesn’t everyone love “La Dolce Vita”?

What about “La Vita E’ Troppa”? The too-much life?

I just found myself writing this. That’s what I have. The too-much life. I wrote this:

Troppe cose. Troppi pensieri, troppe pretese su me stessa, troppe preoccupazioni, troppe delusioni, troppe speranze, troppo dolore.

E’ tutto troppo. Ecco perchè. Semplicemente.

Too many things. Too many thoughts, too many demands on myself, too many worries, too many disappointments, too many hopes, too much pain.

It’s all too much. That’s why. Simply put.

And yet, this is why I live in Italy. OHMYGOD I didn’t know that this dude had the same philosophy I learned here by instinct and years of experience.

GOD BLESS ITALY.

I wish I could translate this video for you, but I can’t. I can’t. It would be too lost in translation. But if you speak Italian, please, watch this, and understand why I chose to live here, and I choose to live here every day. I will explain it below though, after the video.

How did I find it? Simple. I just typed “sti cazzi” into the Youtube search engine. Perfection.

Just in case you don’t speak Italian and were wondering the premise, I will tell you this: He reads a magazine that lists a survey of the percentage of suicides per country, and discovers that Italy is at the bottom at just 7%. He asks why, and he answers. The reason is “who gives a fuck” a.k.a. “sti cazzi” which he claims, as I always have in my previous posts, that it’s one of the fundamental Italian approaches to life, and in turn, it makes life go on even amidst chaos and despair. It truly is a quite Zen way to live, and I am a wholehearted disciple.

About these ads

11 Responses to “Quando La Vita E’ Troppa”

1. mondomulia October 4, 2012 at 11:27 am #

Oh My God! I have just had a moment of self-discovery here, I truly understand so much about my culture and myself thanks to your posts! Seriously. I always worry about everything, but in the end my attitude is “sti cazzi”, ie. I don’t care, whatever happens is fine, I will deal with it. Never realised how much of this attitude comes from being Italian!!

• Un'americana a Roma October 4, 2012 at 8:16 pm #

Isn’t it amazing when your culture is viewed through someone else’s eyes? Most Italians I know think I’m crazy to have willingly come back to Rome, and they don’t understand my love for this place. But strangely, Rome and its ways has taught me so much about how to loosen up and not worry so much about life in general. When almost nothing works, you have to adopt new strategies for getting things done.

2. Arlene Gibbs Décor October 4, 2012 at 1:45 pm #

That is fascinating! I wonder if the family/friends social dynamics also have something to do with the low rate.

Along with Treat. Yo. Self. Sti cazzi will find a bigger place in my heart and mind.

I wonder which country has the highest rate?

• Un'americana a Roma October 4, 2012 at 8:19 pm #

Very good point about the family/friends dynamic. I mean, after all, this was a stand-up routine and all my references to this “philosophy” have been very tongue-in-cheek, although I do find that Romans in general tend to take inconveniences in stride, since life here is so full of them and no one really fixes your problems for you. It’s definitely not a “let me speak to your manager” kind of culture at all, as you know well! But that’s part of what I like about it here, I actually like that sense that no matter what happens, at least it’s real, and not some superficial “I’m Jamie and I’ll be your server today” bullshit. I don’t know. Whatever floats your boat, I guess. You and I know how we feel about this place. It fits.

• Un'americana a Roma October 4, 2012 at 9:05 pm #

PS In the video the magazine says Lithuania has the highest rate at 38%. But who knows what that comes from, what survey it was. The comic is so ridiculous though and silly. He goes “We Italians, we don’t kill ourselves!” I love Roman directness, it always gets right to the heart of the matter, doesn’t it?!

3. Catherine October 4, 2012 at 3:31 pm #

I now am certain I want to retire in Italy.

• Un'americana a Roma October 4, 2012 at 8:20 pm #

Just don’t remodel a home or anything. I hear that’s a real bitch. ;-) Plus, if you thought contractors in the States were bad…you have no idea how long projects can go on for over here….

4. Michconnors October 4, 2012 at 3:40 pm #

I never thought about the overall impact of “sticazzi” on Italians – though it’s bordering on menefreghismo, no? Isn’t it kind of one and the same? A little bit of who-gives-a-f is good for us uptight Americans, but all things in moderation :).

• Un'americana a Roma October 4, 2012 at 8:22 pm #

Really good point here. Can we make a distinction? Hmmm. Well, the way I see “sti cazzi” is more like, look, it’s out of my hands, it’s out my control, I’ve done everything I can and nothing I can do is going to help fix the problem, so, I’m putting my hands up and saying, I surrender and no need worrying about something I am powerless to change.

Menefreghismo is more (to me, mind you) like, I *could* do something about it if I wanted, but I don’t feel motivated enough to care, or to do anything, so that’s more like, who cares, someone else will take care of it for me.

Does that make any sense?

5. Esther Smith October 5, 2012 at 12:09 am #