The Daily Aftermath

8 Oct

PA060089

Something always strikes me about Campo de’ Fiori when I manage to be there during “clean up time.” I guess it’s the jarring contrast between the postcard-perfect flowery market scene in the morning and the crazy-ass aftermath of garbage strewn about like confetti after New Years.

It’s such an interesting time to be at the market. My friends would say it’s gross, but since I’m rarely over there, to me it’s kind of strangely fascinating.

PA060085

I could get all philosophical and say that everything has its attractive side and its ugly side.

PA060084

PA060083

So much work goes into the daily setting-up and breaking-down of the market itself.

PA060082

Here are the unsung heroes:

PA060080

Love hats!

PA060081

Vegetable randomness.

PA060088

Heading out.

PA060086

About these ads

7 Responses to “The Daily Aftermath”

1. limo hire October 8, 2012 at 12:11 pm #

Very interesting. At least the cleaners are always in a job – when it comes to markets – worldwide :)

2. Nancy Hersch October 8, 2012 at 1:08 pm #

I love the markets in Rome.

3. Janet Thomas October 8, 2012 at 2:17 pm #

Unfortunately I have never made it there before clean up time. Will try again next time.

4. travelgardeneat October 8, 2012 at 2:21 pm #

Definitely views most folks do not see — but part of the fabric of that city! ~ Kat

5. Rita V. October 8, 2012 at 5:09 pm #

I’ve been to Rome 3 times now and have still never managed to make it to the market!!! I guess I’ll just have to keep coming until I do!!! Next trip in 2 years when my niece graduates high school! Combining Paris & Italy (hopefully Rome, definitely Venice!!)

6. liz October 11, 2012 at 10:09 pm #

Honestly, I love the Campo de’Fiori…at every time of the day, and seen it in all its market beauty, to the mess, and then to the night life…My favorite thing there is the little deli AristoCampo…To me,the best panini’s ever…

7. loquensmachina October 15, 2012 at 5:37 pm #

There’s round two of cleanup late in the evening as well, after the drinking, etc. I stayed in an apartment right in Campo years ago as a study-abroad student, and my bedroom faced the piazza. I recall being woken up by the sound of street-sweeping and the smashing of beer/wine bottles at 3 or 4am most mornings. It’s always busy!