19 Feb

img1024-700_dettaglio2_big_berlusconi

Oh yes, folks, we’re having a grand old time over here during election week! A big huge grazie goes out to Catherine, divine author of The Divorced Lady’s Companion to Living in Italy for sparking my memory about one of the most mind-boggling and purely comic gold videos I’ve seen over here, a campaign song for beloved Berlusca released back in 2008.

Follow anything about Berlusconi? He’s that guy that used to be president and is running again? Yeah, that one? Ever heard of him?

To try to give you a Cliff’s Notes version, I simply typed in “Silvio Berlusconi’s biggest gaffes” into Google and lo! None other than Time Magazine coming through with the assist here, in the cleverly titled Top 10 Worst Silvio Berlusconi Gaffes. This, you do realize, my dear readers, assumes that there are more than 10, and that these are simply the “worst” that the venerable Time could compile as of press time last December.

So I’m thinking that the only reason this video didn’t make it into the Top 10 is because it’s all in Italian. But don’t despair! I’ll translate it for you. Because that’s what my blog is for. Distributing random Italian goodness and putting it through the meat grinder until it comes out the other side in English. You can thank me later.

Actually, you can thank me by singing along. And I want you to REALLY get into it when the dude in the call center stands up, and the women all swivel around simultaneously in their chairs. Do it.

There’s a big dream, that lives in us, we’re the people of freedom (his party’s name, PdL) President we’re with you…
THANK GOD FOR SILVIO (or “luckily Silvio’s there,” or “Thank goodness there’s Silvio” … you can choose your fave)

We’re the people, who love and believe, who want to transform the dream into reality, President we’re with you…
GOD BLESS THE HEAVENS FOR SILVY (ok I used poetic license there)

We’re the people, that never give up, that stretch out a hand, that give strength, President we’re with you…
OH THANK THE GOOD LORD FOR OUR SILVSTER

Long live Italy, the Italy that’s chosen, to still believe, in this dream, President we’re with you…
MENOMALECHESILVIOC’E’

Say it like this, with that strength, that normally only someone who’s pure-minded has, President we’re with you…
WAIT– WHAT THE F? DID HE JUST SAY PURE-MINDED? Um, I have a *wee* bit of an issue with that. Maybe it’s ironic. STICA… MENOMALECHESILVIOC’E’

Sing it again: (this is where it gets a bit monotonous and repetitive. What’s that? What’s that, you say? Repetition and brain-washing, you say? Don’t mind if I do! One moment, please, while I throw a block quote at you:)

Kathleen Taylor, University of Oxford neuroscientist and author of Brainwashing: The Science of Thought Control, argues that argues that the term brainwashing is useful when used to refer to a more coercive form of persuasion than overt indoctrination and torture. She explains that repetition is an integral part of brainwashing techniques.

Now finish your singing, finish your singing, finish your singing:

Presidente siamo con te
Menomale che Silvio c’è
Viva l’Italia
L’Italia che ha scelto
Di credere ancora in questo sogno
Presidente siamo con te
Menomale che Silvio c’è
Presidente questo è per te
Menomale che Silvio c’è

And, this just in from The Guardian! Meno male che Silvio’s trial date is postponed due to campaign commitments! Presidente we’re with you!

Berlusconi

Oh, and hey, BTW subtitle people? You must not have read this before you went into post-production, I’m guessing? MENOMALE!

About these ads

19 Responses to “Thank God There’s Silvio”

1. anna l'americana February 19, 2013 at 11:31 pm #

Puro di mente? Chi? Silvio? Ma va….

2. simcek February 19, 2013 at 11:52 pm #

Please America, be merciful and invade us. Now.

• Un'americana a Roma February 21, 2013 at 6:49 pm #

Oh silly Mr. Simcek, why do you think so many of us end up living here? Oh come now… we wouldn’t have it any other way! Ok, truth: I could live without Berlusca. But I do find him entertaining, in a sad sort of awful American reality TV show sort of way.

• Un'americana a Roma February 21, 2013 at 6:52 pm #

PS You’re really funny, you know? I like when you don’t break my boxes, you make me laugh.

• simcek February 21, 2013 at 11:37 pm #

Yeah, easy to say that when YOUR president is the coolest in the world.

3. Giuseppe B February 20, 2013 at 2:21 am #

Ma Silvio c’é o ci fa?

4. gillaf1@yahoo.com February 20, 2013 at 3:12 am #

If he wins, I hope he rules from a cold prison cell!

• Un'americana a Roma February 21, 2013 at 6:53 pm #

Cold being key. And all male prison, please. No more of these nekkid booby girls. I’m tired of them.

5. Catherine February 20, 2013 at 7:26 am #

Oh lord you’ve forced me to watch that video. ARGHHHH. I’m just speechless and the worst is that it is in some ways accurate. Though I’m sure each young actor was thrown wad of cash (including his new bird getting down) he still has supporters out there! Also, did you see? Not a single migrant Italian when let’s face it who does all the factory work (the little there is left) in this country? And just one older person when this country’s rulers are mostly hitting seventy? The gaffes just make my stomach turn and the last one is alarming – is he sane? Is he taking the piss?!!

Thanks for the mention! Xxcat

• Un'americana a Roma February 21, 2013 at 6:50 pm #

No seriously, the man is not sane by any traditional definition. More than once I’ve heard Italians use the word “megalomane” … lots of times. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Megalomania

• Un'americana a Roma February 21, 2013 at 6:51 pm #

Best part of the wiki definition “Megalomania is a psychopathological disorder characterized by delusional fantasies of relevance” That’s perfect. Because the man is delusional if he thinks he is still relevant… and yet, yet… people still support him, so, it’s a conundrum for sure…

6. Wendy Liscia February 20, 2013 at 9:15 am #

There are simply no words to describe this man…..

7. Arlene Gibbs Décor February 22, 2013 at 2:13 pm #

I so hope he goes down this weekend. With Beppe’s party cutting into his base, he might not get the number of seats he wanted for Parliament, which would be fantastic.

8. Roberto March 24, 2013 at 8:09 am #

You know… None of you foreigners ever get it. WE LIKE SILVIO. He amuses us, plus he is simply more competent at running things than any other politician in our country…. Or yours. He sleeps with some beautiful girls and doesn’t pay every cent of taxes he is supposed to. Just like the rest of us.

He does not lie about weapons and kill untold numbers of foreigners. He doesn’t disrespect our constitution and institute full body searches at airports. He doesn’t mismanage healthcare to the extent it is a laughingstock among civilized countries.

You don’t like him. Fine. He was OUR leader, not yours. Yet in spite of your complaints, I note you are an American in Rome, not an Italian in DC.

Viva l’Italia, e meno male che Silvio c’è.

• Un'americana a Roma March 27, 2013 at 3:45 pm #

Whoa Roberto! Looks like I touched a nerve there! No worries my dear, I love him as much as you! Although you might want to back off when bringing the constitution in. Anyhoo, more power too you! I hope you can sleep with 20 somethings in your 70s as well! Although I’d be careful about speaking for “all italians” when you post. Generalization can get us into trouble, can’t it? Auguri!

9. Melissa Muldoon March 24, 2013 at 6:42 pm #

Meno male c’è Berlusconi! had to share this image from the Un’Italia senza Berlusconi Facebook page http://www.facebook.com/Italia.SENZA.Berlusconi: