Best Business Names, Vol. 3

27 Feb

Ok, for the life of me I CANNOT find my old posts about my two favorite business names here in Italy. So I have to tell you again before I introduce the “new entry.”

Here’s all-time favorite candidate, my favorite electronic gate company. If you don’t watch it you might not get the funny.

Oh, I know, I’m sooo easily amused. It’s totally true though, I am.

And then number 2 which was printed on a package of toilet paper as the mother company that produces the toilet paper, which never ceases to amuse me:

soffass

Oh isn’t it just so fun?

Ok, so here’s number 3. My kids have a birthday in February. (Yes that grammatical construction is possible because they are twins. Think you’re sooo smart, dontcha?)

So we go and buy cupcake liners, right? And I’ll be damned if I don’t turn them over and read this on the bottom:

SwollenBall-2

Wow, who in God’s name was the marketing genius that green-lighted that one? I mean, in what context in what language in what parallel universe does the name SWOLLEN BALL somehow convey anything other than hilarity? I mean folks believe me, I’ve tried to give the benefit of the doubt here. Thought in Italian, ok, “Palla Gonfia” maybe that means something fun and festive. I don’t know. I just can’t seem to get around it.

That’s all. Just occupying what very little free time I have to share this uselessness with you all. My daughter is happy now that I’ve finished my “cupcake” post. More soon, my friends.

Any of y’all have a great brand name story for me?

P.S. Thank GOD they copyrighted the name SWOLLEN BALL® because that is the exact name I wanted for MY non-existent but future company. Oh M.P. Creations, you’ve foiled me again!

9 Responses to “Best Business Names, Vol. 3”

1. Taryn February 27, 2013 at 6:44 pm #

Love all your posts! They make me feel as if I never left Rome!

• Un'americana a Roma February 28, 2013 at 11:06 am #

Yay! Happy! Hope you threw your coin(s) into the Trevi, that way you’re sure to come back!

2. Catherine February 27, 2013 at 6:58 pm #

You are truly killing me!!! Soffass? Swollen Ball?? What the FAAC? Are we finally discovering Italian humour?? Xx

3. gillaf1@yahoo.com February 28, 2013 at 1:51 am #

Glad I decided to check my email as this post sure brightened up what has been a cold rainy day here in Connecticut!

• Un'americana a Roma February 28, 2013 at 11:06 am #

Aw, that’s sweet! Glad to have been able to do that!

4. simcek February 28, 2013 at 1:34 pm #

What about the “Red Cock” restaurant that recently opened near my place?

(Oh and there’s also a radio advert for a TIT 93 company).

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. More Fun with Italian Grocery Products | Un'americana a Roma - August 20, 2013

[…] If not, just enjoy the implications, like you might with my former posts in this area regarding product and business names, namely Sofass toilet paper and those security gates that I just can’t get enough of. (Watch […]

2. Pushy, Needy Grocery Products | Un'americana a Roma - January 3, 2014

[…] it. Anyways, Regina toilet paper is one you’ll remember fondly because it’s made by the Sofass company, which was no doubt a very strategic move on their […]