Free Roman Dog Poo

7 Nov

Oh, people. Don’t ask me why I love living here.

Just don’t.

Because, frankly, there is really only one answer: Roman culture is rich with sarcastic geniuses. GENIUSES, I tell you. Geniuses of the art of sarcasm, who are more than willing to put their masterly talents on public display.

Yes. Sarcasm is an art. Please, don’t be mistaken into thinking otherwise.

Having come from a family where I was constantly told, “Don’t be sarcastic!!” from the time I was pretty much able to talk, thus being continually shamed and shunned for my own innate grasp of this art—well, let’s just say that living in Rome is for me the equivalent of verbal transgression heaven, a place where I feel I’ve finally found my tribe, a place where I belong. Heaven!

Where else could you find a sign posted to your local corner clothing donation dumpster that says THIS?

20131027_133327

For those of you not versed in Italian, allow me to translate:

!!! TAKE NOTE !!!

FRESH DOG SHIT

Given the vast willingness of residents to get involved in providing the merchandise, while supplies last, this product is available totally free to all of those who want to make use of it.

We kindly ask consumers not to be too greedy with this offer, by only taking the quantity that they are able to use. There’s enough to go around for everyone.

For pick up, all you have to do is walk around.

SERIOUS INQUIRIES ONLY.

About these ads

12 Responses to “Free Roman Dog Poo”

1. Catherine November 7, 2013 at 2:14 pm #

Hahaha You are killing me! You are right though, REAL humour here – and I don’t mean the tits-n-arses-carabinieri stuff – is something else. You’ve found your stomping ground!!! Xcat

• Shelley Ruelle November 8, 2013 at 9:45 am #

No seriously, I honestly believe that the true Roman sense of humor is based in very clever and sarcastic word play, which for me is truly my paradise. It goes back to the sonnets of GG Belli, which I want to translate and study and become a master of. This culture: I love it. And I agree, the carabinieri jokes, etc., that’s like saying Jon Stewart in the US tells blonde jokes. No. It’s a whole other level of intelligence. :-)

2. Valerie November 7, 2013 at 4:25 pm #

LOVE Roman sense of humor. Love it!

3. hifly81 November 7, 2013 at 8:13 pm #

We are romans!

• Shelley Ruelle November 8, 2013 at 9:46 am #

Qui credo che intendevi dire “SEMO ROMANI” o mi sbaglio?? :-) E meno male sì!!!

• hifly81 November 8, 2013 at 9:51 am #

nn ti sbagli :-)

4. Gil November 11, 2013 at 8:17 am #

I seem to remember you write about this subject a few years back. I think a stroller brought some in your home?

• Shelley Ruelle November 12, 2013 at 1:08 pm #

Um, don’t remember that, but anything is possible!! :-)

• Gil November 12, 2013 at 6:35 pm #

Up The Roman Staircase or something like that blog?

5. Franco December 10, 2013 at 1:50 am #

In ‘The Italians,’ Luigi Barzini wrote about the Roman’s wicked sense of humour… this I still recall: Stato Citta Vaticano OR SCV on the license plates means something completely different to regular Romans… Se Cristo Vedesse – BADA BUMP BUM!!!

Trackbacks/Pingbacks