Nun Rocks Judges on The Voice of Italy

21 Mar

No, seriously!

Ok, so no one really loathes Italian television more than I, and this is the truth. However, this morning I was hit with a request on FB to “like” a fan page of a friend of mine. At first I thought it was a misread, or something, but when I clicked through I realized that OHMYGOD I know someone who just got picked up on the Italian version of a TV show akin to “American Idol.” Holy crap! More on that in a moment, though.

So when I clicked through to learn about the show, I found this video clip of a nun who performed an Alicia Keys song last night and hit it out of the park. The way they set up the auditions is that the judges have their backs to the contestant, which is cool because that way they have to just listen to the performance. Then, if they’re convinced they want the contestant on their “team,” they push a red button so their chair turns around.

YOU HAVE TO SEE THIS. 7:49 rocks my whole world and makes me think that peace on Earth could someday be possible.

At 3:00 one of the judges goes, “Are you a real nun?” And Suor Cristina responds, “I’m a super real nun!” (“Sono una suora verissima!”) God love her, for reals. The judge continues, “How in the world did you think of coming to try out for The Voice?” And she responds, “I have a gift…so I give! No?” Plus I think she has a crush on J-Ax the super-tattooed dude. He goes, “If I had had you in the church choir as a kid, I’d be Pope by now! Together we’d be unbeatable because we’d be the Devil and Holy Water.” Oh dear God.

At 6:00 the blonde judge goes, “What do you think the Vatican is going to say about you trying out here?” She responds, “I don’t know. I expect a call from Pope Francis.” Whoa.

So, there’s that.

But the real gold of the evening was Mia Schiettino, who, incredibly, is someone I have the pleasure of calling a friend. She is, in a word, unbelievable, and was also chosen to compete on the show. Check this out:

Granted, it’s a tough act to follow the wow-factor of a singing nun (!), however, here’s another video from Mia to convince you of her amazing talent, no habit necessary:

Dear God, people, you know what this means, don’t you? I might actually have to start watching TV after what, six years?

Moral of the story, folks? In life, MAI DIRE MAI – never say never.

About these ads

13 Responses to “Nun Rocks Judges on The Voice of Italy”

1. Mondomulia March 21, 2014 at 11:41 am #

I can’t NOT love this post! ;) Thanks for sharing! Go Mia!!!

2. Jean Noel March 21, 2014 at 12:25 pm #

I’m not convinced by this lady, even though she is a good singer.
    And by this church which has better things to do to make us forget and forgive all its deadly historical errors like :
    banning contraception, support of many tyrants, pedophaelia,
    I expect decisions, not songs !

• Shelley Ruelle March 21, 2014 at 12:33 pm #

Everyone’s entitled to their opinion, but if I might express mine, lighten up! No harm done here. This is an example of shared humanity, not politics. Although clearly, having a nun on a pop culture show does a big favor in terms of free marketing and publicity for the show itself. Frankly though, I’m surprised that she was allowed by her convent or order to actually compete. Aren’t there rules about that? But perhaps in their view, it’s better free publicity for the Church, riding on the wave of Francis’s popularity. Who knows. A conversation starter to say the least.

3. Melissa Muldoon March 21, 2014 at 2:25 pm #

I caught Suor Cristina’s sister act last night and thought she was the bomb! I loved watching the judges faces when they turned around. She looked so incredibly happy to be having a shining moment on the stage. I also like the other sisters standing off on the side lines jumping up and down supporting her. You never know what is going to show up on Italian tv! and I agree MAI DIRE MAI!

• Shelley Ruelle March 21, 2014 at 4:25 pm #

You said it there, my friend: you never know what is going to show up on Italian TV! It’s a relief to see decently-clothed and genuinely talented people given some airtime for a change, no?

4. Joan Schmelzle March 21, 2014 at 6:49 pm #

So glad you said “lighten up”! I am not always happy with my chuch either, but how can I not enjoy the sister and her sisters and the judges’ faces? It was just plain fun!!
    I watched the whole 8 minutes, and I have never watfched the American version of Voice because like you I am not a TV fan. However, for a friend I certainly would watch too.
    Thanks for both.

• Shelley Ruelle March 29, 2014 at 2:44 pm #

You got it! We need more lighthearted stuff in today’s world, no?

5. Christina March 21, 2014 at 8:04 pm #

The American version of the show you’re describing is actually called “The Voice”. Christina Aguleira, Shakira, CeeLo Green are among the judges. American Idol is old news in America, The Voice is “in” right now in North America. ;-)

• Shelley Ruelle March 29, 2014 at 2:43 pm #

Ha ha, thanks Christina. Boy am I out of it. Been in Italy too long… haven’t watched “regular TV” (read: non-cartoon) for over 7 years I think… yikes, no?

• Shelley Ruelle March 29, 2014 at 2:44 pm #

PS OMG I love Cee Lo Green and so do my kiddos. Love Shakira too. Sounds like it would be a lot of fun to watch.

6. Gil March 21, 2014 at 8:24 pm #

Glad that I watched the whole video! just loved the young sister’s singing. Just what I needed to break up an afternoon of work. Thanks for sharing your talent with us.