Photo Hunt: Growth

11 Nov

PSHunt
Grab the Scavenger Hunt code.
Join the blogroll. Visit participants.
This week’s theme is Growth.

This is a lemon growing on one of two lemon trees I have on my rooftop terrace in the Roman neighborhood of Trastevere. The medieval bell tower you see in the background isn’t visible from the street level, so you’re getting a peek at something that many visitors to Rome and even residents of Rome will never see!

The lemon tree was a housewarming gift from one of our dear friends, Fabio, who is an engineer now living near London (ci manchi, Latta!), and in three years the growth I have seen on this tree has been incredible.

When the lemons are ripe, we use them to make limoncello, a typical lemon-flavored digestivo liqueur that is normally sipped from a small shot glass after dinner. I am looking forward to picking these when they are ready, probably in February or March.

18 Responses to “Photo Hunt: Growth”

1. abe/hap November 11, 2006 at 9:00 am #

hard to believe with a click of the mouse Im in Rome πŸ™‚ came to visit you via the SPSH blogroll. I read your post about the caffΓ¨ completo…. my good that looks sooooo good!

2. mar November 11, 2006 at 9:20 am #

Wonderful! I tried Limoncello for the first time in Genoa and loved it! Nice to meet you, I am in Spain and my pic is up!

3. Jenny November 11, 2006 at 10:26 am #

How wonderful, I visited Rome a very long time ago and I’d love to go back.

4. Mandy November 11, 2006 at 10:35 am #

What a lovely picture, so clear and crisp. I’ve never been to Rome, but some day hopefully…..Happy Saturday

5. Pamela November 11, 2006 at 11:31 am #

The lemon makes such a pretty picture against the backgroung. Love that you gave us a peek of the bell tower too…what a thrill! You live in such a dreamy and romantic part of the world! lol

6. Pat November 11, 2006 at 12:39 pm #

Wow – what a great photo – the lemon looks so “real”!!

7. Debbie November 11, 2006 at 12:42 pm #

Wow how nice a gift! One that keeps on giving! Great picture too! My photo is up. Happy Saturday!

8. ZootsMom November 11, 2006 at 1:28 pm #

What a lovely picture..Mine’s up

9. nyc/caribbean ragazza November 11, 2006 at 2:50 pm #

Bella foto. Next time I’m in Rome I will have to find that bell tower.

10. avery November 11, 2006 at 5:37 pm #

Great photo! You make your own limoncello???? From lemons grown in your own garden? I am so impressed. It used to be too sweet for me but in the past year I have grown to appreciate the joys of an after-dinner limoncello. Shellina, could I come over and try it one day? Please? pretty please? with sugar on top? πŸ™‚

11. Shelley - At Home in Rome November 11, 2006 at 7:14 pm #

Thanks all, for the nice comments. It’s so fun visiting everyone’s Saturday shot. NYC: If you find it you are amazing! It is literally IMPOSSIBLE to know that it exists if you are just walking down the street, you literally can’t see any trace of it.Averina, ma certo bella, anche una bottiglia intera per te! πŸ˜‰

12. Karen November 11, 2006 at 10:54 pm #

Wow, it’s so great you can grow your own lemons. And thanks for the view of the bell tower, too. You never know what you will see on the Photo Hunt!

13. Darbs November 12, 2006 at 2:54 pm #

My friend has been trying to grow lemons and oranges for like two years now (she ordered the mini trees from a catalogue). No fruit yet. What a disappointment!

14. LibertyBelle November 12, 2006 at 3:17 pm #

That is one very wonderful lime!How great they grow in November!Beautiful photo too!Mine’s up tooHappy weekend!

15. Teena November 13, 2006 at 12:14 am #

Cool pic!Mine’s up too πŸ™‚

16. Expat Traveler November 13, 2006 at 12:58 am #

Man – this is a beautiful photo! You live on a great rooftop. Might I stop by next week for a visit. πŸ˜‰

17. Anonymous November 13, 2006 at 7:09 pm #

Ooh! Your lemon tree is kicking ass! I love that patio of yours. I’m imagining myself there now. Drinking some limoncello. πŸ™‚

18. Tea & Margaritas in My Garden November 15, 2006 at 11:28 am #

What a wonderful tree to have! I`ve never heard of limoncello but it sounds interesting. Lovely view you have as well. Glad I fell on your blog :)teaxo