Photo Hunt: Lights

2 Dec

PSHunt
Grab the Scavenger Hunt code.
Join the blogroll. Visit participants.
This week’s theme is Lights.

Yesterday I was walking down Via Arenula and noticed that they were putting up these holiday snowflake lights. In my 5 years here I don’t recall them ever installing lights on this main street from Trastevere to Largo Argentina (near the Pantheon) and it makes the city feel a little more festive. Of course, I would have loved to have been able to go around a neighborhood searching for the perfect “Chevy Chase/Christmas Vacation” house, but here in Rome we all live in apartments so the best you’ll get is perhaps a string of lights around a window. Better than nothing, I guess. But I still miss the neighborhood competitions I used to see back in the States, and driving around to look at all the houses.

23 Responses to “Photo Hunt: Lights”

1. mar December 2, 2006 at 10:26 am #

Very pretty snow flakes! I love Xmas lights. A string of lights is about as much as you will find in Spain too as home decoration! Thanks for your nice comment :)Happy saturday!

2. AnneS December 2, 2006 at 10:39 am #

I have to admit, I was thrilled to drive past my first sighting of a fully decked out house and garden yesterday on the way home from work – always puts me in a really festive mood! Your photo o the lights going up is great … ‘lights in progress’ πŸ˜€

3. ZootsMom December 2, 2006 at 11:47 am #

How pretty. I love the Christmas lights everywhere..

4. Wystful1 December 2, 2006 at 11:52 am #

Great picture!!I bet the snowflakes at night with the lights on are very pretty against the darkened buildings!!Mine’s posted for this week -the subject “lights”. Drop by, won’t you?Have a great Saturday Shelley.

5. abe/happy December 2, 2006 at 1:10 pm #

I bet they look pretty at night time πŸ™‚

6. Barbara H. December 2, 2006 at 1:22 pm #

Very nice! I would miss the neighborhood lights, too.

7. Kelli December 2, 2006 at 1:22 pm #

Man, Rome with lights. I’m drooling at the thought. I am such a sucker for Christmas!

8. Viamarie December 2, 2006 at 1:38 pm #

Must look very good at night.My photo is up too.

9. Jenn December 2, 2006 at 2:15 pm #

So I read your profile and I have to say wow! I put a coin in the Trevi Fountain but it didn’t get quite such dramatic results! Or maybe it did- I moved across the country for love.

10. nyc/caribbean ragazza December 2, 2006 at 2:51 pm #

bella!

11. Pat December 2, 2006 at 3:27 pm #

Great shot!! I have noticed that this year there are more Christmas lights up around Paris and they went up much earlier than I remember.Thanks for stopping by.

12. Jane December 2, 2006 at 3:29 pm #

What pretty lights, and such a cool place to be taking them!

13. Amy Beth <>< December 2, 2006 at 4:05 pm #

That is cool.. I love snowflakes. I live in a tourist town where the Christmas lights are up from the 1st of Nov. to the 1st of March. I hate to admit it, but I get the ‘Bah-humbug’ attitude sometimes when it comes to the lights. They are on EVERYTHING!!!Those lights look ‘Classy’.Mine is up, too. Have a great weekend!

14. GoofyJ December 2, 2006 at 4:22 pm #

Cool snowflakes, I love the photo. It’s fun to see not just all the lights already lit, but in the prodcees, I love how you caught the man on the ladder too. πŸ™‚ Fun photo. Thanks for stopping by my place. πŸ™‚

15. Karen December 2, 2006 at 4:32 pm #

Those lights are very festive. And what I like is that they do not overwhelm the building. They are just the perfect touch (IMHO).

16. srp December 2, 2006 at 5:09 pm #

Those are lovely….. I would have thought there would be loads of lights around Rome… but pehaps more inside than out.Thanks for stopping by.

17. MG Braden December 2, 2006 at 7:09 pm #

I love this photo – how cool that they are putting these snowflakes up and some are unlit still. I like the contrast of the new lights against the older city.

18. Nicki December 2, 2006 at 10:45 pm #

What a great picture! I love the old building in the background too πŸ™‚

19. superkimbo December 3, 2006 at 12:37 am #

During our five years in Munich, we spent a few Christmas’ in Italy. I love the festive street lights and the red carpets in front of all the shops. One year we were in Sicily and there were open air concerts every night in Palermo. You can’t get any more Christmassy than that πŸ™‚

20. Leah December 3, 2006 at 5:34 am #

i love it when the city decorates for Christmas.. those snowfalkes will surely be a delight to see at night all lined up…thanks for dropping by

21. valerie December 3, 2006 at 5:55 pm #

They are putting them up in the main street near our apartment and they look great. The local barista said that the business owners must pay for them, which may explain why you’ve not seen them in your street before. The inevitable, “he should pay more, he has more street exposure” kinds of arguments ensure annually, he told us.

22. Francesca December 4, 2006 at 7:01 am #

sono belle le insegne natalizie romane, l’importante che non diventino troppe insieme alle luci di ogni negozio. Ma via renula Γ¨ bella sempre:) Ciao!

23. Expat Traveler December 4, 2006 at 7:35 pm #

beautiful lights! looks like a lovely place. I think we have a few places like that here. In our little town we have wreaths everywhere.