The Pope’s Milk

13 Mar

You didn’t think that the Pope drank ordinary Rome milk, did you?

The world’s smallest country (0.2 square miles) has its own mythical grocery store and gas station, where apparently the prices are incredibly reasonable. The only thing is that you have to have a special pass to get in. People who work in the Vatican have it. People who have family ties to people who work in the Vatican have it. I’ve never seen one, but I am aware of its existence.

Anyhoo, so how’d I manage to get a photo of the Pope’s milk carton? Well, it isn’t exactly HIS milk carton, but that of my friend Fabio, who in some vague, not defined to my complete satisfaction way has access to shop at the Vatican grocery store. Boh. He told me something about being a distant relative of some famous Catholic saint. (I’m not making this stuff up!)

So, take a look at where they produce the milk: “fattoria Ville Pontificie.”

Pontifical Villa Farm.

Ah, the advertising possibilities… the Pope with a milk mustache… the Pope wandering the green, grassy fields with his papal cows… don’t get me started!

11 Responses to “The Pope’s Milk”

1. sognatrice March 13, 2007 at 9:56 am #

I’m laughing from picturing the Pope with a milk mustache b/c what I thought when I saw the title of the post was “Got Pope?” Excellent info here 🙂

2. Johnaesthetica March 13, 2007 at 3:16 pm #

Hah!I wonder if the cows or the finished product receive any blessing during the process.”Il Latte Fresco: Benedetto e Santo”Has a nice ring, eh?

3. Shelley - At Home in Rome March 13, 2007 at 3:37 pm #

Man, you guys are good! I say, let’s form an advertising agency and propose this to the Holy See as an official campaign to get the vast populace of Vatican City (890 residents is the official count) to start drinking more of this blessed milk.

4. Tamara March 13, 2007 at 4:10 pm #

Your friend got a pass because he’s related to a saint? I love it. Only in Italy.

5. Martin March 13, 2007 at 7:19 pm #

I wonder if they sell “latte a lunga conservazione” too. I just can’t see that … only the best for the Pope.

6. Tracie B. March 13, 2007 at 8:43 pm #

i went to the vatican pharmacy once…to buy, um…my Pill.they didn’t have it.

7. Pia March 13, 2007 at 10:14 pm #

I imagine the cows were blessed prior to milking.I had no idea the pope drank special holy milk. I’m slightly lactose intolerant, but would try this. If only to secure a seat next to The Big Guy.

8. Cherrye March 15, 2007 at 10:40 am #

This is great – very funny…but somehow I am not surprised! Oh, no, I am getting accustomed to the strangness! 🙂

9. Passagetoitaly March 5, 2010 at 9:30 pm #

Hmm interesting! I wonder if I could get a pass too, seeing as I’m related to a Pope. He was only pope for a little while, but that still counts, right? I too am picturing the Pope with a milk mustache.

10. Antiqua Tours April 6, 2013 at 5:03 pm #

Funnily enough, the pope does have cows at Castel Gandolfo and in the summer time when the wind changes you can smell them for miles. It is so gross!

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. Family Size Milk in Rome | Un'americana a Roma - April 6, 2013

[…] Ok, silly me, I’m getting old. I did actually post the thing about the Vatican milk. Duh. Here it is. And the picture wasn’t of a cute cow (that must’ve been some other milk I’m […]