And if your car could talk, what would it say?

20 Mar

Mine would probably say: put me out of my misery. But that’s another story. Today I want to show you what Rome’s “Garden Service” van says. That’s translated literally… probably more fitting is something like city landscaping or urban maintenance. In any case, I ran across one of their miniscule vans while walking home, and I found that it has a charming little message for all passersby. Take a look for yourself:

It says:

I’m environmentally-friendly: I run on methane and I don’t pollute. BYE

So, I’m sure you can guess what I found so curious about this. Bye? Bye??!! What the heck is it doing saying “bye” to me? Ah, the mysterious use of the English language when woven into Italian. You’ve gotta love it. Well, bye to you as well, Mr. Servizio Giardini Truck. Have a lovely day, and please, say hi to your other environmentally-friendly pals for me.

Bye

8 Responses to “And if your car could talk, what would it say?”

1. sognatrice March 20, 2007 at 5:08 pm #

I mean, really…would it have said “ciao” if they had stuck in all Italian? And, to be balanced, shouldn’t it really start with something like “Hi there”? Excellent find 🙂

2. Shelley - At Home in Rome March 20, 2007 at 5:12 pm #

Sognatrice: I know. Isn’t it just about as random as they come? And yes, I totally agree with you: hi there would have been way more appropriate and correct, IMHO.

3. TinkerBlue March 20, 2007 at 6:16 pm #

Made me laugh. It reminds me of some of the English I saw in Japan.

4. Michellanea March 20, 2007 at 6:20 pm #

Cars say the darndest things. Just today mine said “Please put 600 Euros into me as I need a new radiator! That’s why I’ve been making that big puddle in the garage the neighbors keep complaining about!” I hate cars and regret having to have one, especially in one of the most polluted cities in the world. But anyway, I like the rampant misuse of the word “stop” as a synonym for “basta.” Like “Ho mangiato la pasta e….stop.” Ugh, that bugs me.

5. christine March 21, 2007 at 2:04 am #

The photo of the car brought me back to the trip we had last May in beautiful Roma. We’ll definitely be back – probably when our little chicken turns 3.

6. nyc/caribbean ragazza March 21, 2007 at 2:23 pm #

That photo is great. The “bye” at the end is a nice touch. 🙂

7. JennDZ March 22, 2007 at 9:52 pm #

That is one of the funniest things I have ever seen….is Italy now becoming anglicized like the rest of the dang world?!

8. ~Sparrow March 30, 2007 at 1:20 pm #

Its still one of the words that I find strange when an Italian thoughtis translated into English. I know most italians mean “Ciao!” when they say “Bye” but I don’t think they realize how abrupt it seems. Better to use See ya later alligator!