Babs Says "Arrivederci Roma"

28 May

Remember how I told you that Barbra was charging a mere €850 for a seat at her concert/tour kick-off here in Rome?

Well, apparently that was just a bit steep for some people, and now the concert is off. Although “her people” are saying it was due to production difficulties, reports I’ve seen in the Italian press claim that they just couldn’t sell enough tickets. Hmm…I wonder why?

So, let’s translate. Production difficulties=you can’t have a production without a public.

7 Responses to “Babs Says "Arrivederci Roma"”

1. Michellanea May 28, 2007 at 10:15 am #

I had read that all of the Italian consumer groups were protesting it. The price of a ticket was a typical Italian monthly salary. Know your market, Babs. 🙂

2. Shelley - At Home in Rome May 28, 2007 at 11:36 am #

Mich: That’s so funny, you said EXACTLY what I said to some friends last night when I heard about this… can you imagine an Italian spending the equivalent of his or her monthly salary on a ticket? Because really the avg. salary from most of the people I know is anywhere from €700 to €1,100 per month and I don’t know any performer in my opinion that’s worthy of an entire month’s wages.

3. Ms Adventures in Italy May 28, 2007 at 3:26 pm #

It’s been my drrrrrrream to see baw-bwah so i’ll spend it all. not!Yes, she was mislead. Probably what will happen now is that she “cancelled” it to the public, the US embassy bought it out and now they’re going to start giving out tickets to their “trusted friends.” 🙂

4. nyc/caribbean ragazza May 28, 2007 at 3:44 pm #

Know your market indeed. What were her promoters thinking?

5. somepinkflowers May 28, 2007 at 5:30 pm #

compassion, please!…i understand thatthose long acrylic nails DO NOT come cheap! 🙂

6. Shelley - At Home in Rome May 28, 2007 at 5:39 pm #

You guys are funny. Yes, as Somepinkflowers helpfully points out, I am sure that inflation does not leave acrylic nails untouched. Just another reason to get all verklempt.

7. André May 31, 2007 at 7:36 pm #

Mmh, the questionable marketing idea behind these prices seems to be, to position the concert like a VIP event.Don’t think it can’t get more expensive.Check the price for Paris:1.704 EUR