Che cosa stai dicendo, Willis? Part 2

8 Jun

First, for all of you who are joining the show late, I give you Part One of this apparently on-going saga. Please read before you go any further, in order to fully appreciate the Arnold-ness of this post.

Now, I realize that the only thing that qualifies this for my Rome-themed blog is the simple fact that I saw it in Rome. But that’s OK by me. Just yesterday I saw a t-shirt for sale that said “My so-and-so went to Hawaii and all I got was this lousy t-shirt” for €4. Which goes to show: things don’t always have to make perfect sense.

So, just for some random fun, look where Arnold turned up, in action mode, on Lungotevere:

Kung-Fu Arnold! And, for all you excellent mystery solvers (it’s usually one of my readers who solves these great curiosities of mine): what’s up with that weird pink graffiti next to Arnold? It looks strangely like the other one:

What does it all mean, folks?

Well, if you thought Arnold was a Rome-only phenomenon, you’d be wrong. I promise I don’t spend my days wandering Italian cities looking for him. He just shows up. For example, when I was in Milan with Sara last weekend, poof! Walking around after breakfast, there he was:

This is a close-up of a small stencil on the side of a wall. There were also a couple others, but seeing as how one of them was additionally painted over with something that portrays Arnold in a rather compromising light, well, I’ll leave that one to your imagination. As always, we try our best to be a PG-rated blog around here.

Ok, ok, I promise tomorrow I’ll get back to the meat and potatoes of the blog. Or rather, the espresso slushies and the Pantheon, both of which I have waiting in the wings for you.

15 Responses to “Che cosa stai dicendo, Willis? Part 2”

1. Caroline in Rome June 8, 2007 at 10:52 am #

He’s trying to make a comeback and he thinks that Italy is the place to start?

2. Shelley - At Home in Rome June 8, 2007 at 11:15 am #

Caroline: Hmmm, interesting theory… maybe his gig with 1-800-GET-CASH (NYC/Caribbean Ragazza told me that’s what he’s up to nowadays) isn’t working out so well. Poor Arnold!

3. nyc/caribbean ragazza June 8, 2007 at 12:25 pm #

Maybe the artist is a big Gary Coleman fan.At least Arnold is still alive, poverina Kimberely. Before his recent TV ads, he was working as a security guard. I thought that was weird. I mean who is going to be scared of him besides Webster?

4. Shelley - At Home in Rome June 8, 2007 at 12:57 pm #

NYC: You’re killing me! How long has it been since I’ve thought about Webster? Ma’am and George!!! I can always rely on you and your witty comments to give me a laugh. 😉

5. Eryn June 8, 2007 at 1:08 pm #

hi there, i’m a new blogger and i’ve started reading yours. when i lived in florence for a semester we would see gary coleman stencils all over the place……that is so strange that he has appeared in rome and milan as well.i bet it’s the same person!

6. Shelley - At Home in Rome June 8, 2007 at 1:39 pm #

Eryn! Welcome to the blogosphere, or rather, benvenuta! I’m coming up on my one-year anniversary.Now I’m curious. I should do some research…(a.k.a. Google it).

7. chris & erin June 8, 2007 at 1:53 pm #

oh I love it!!! I was so excited to see your first post about this and cracked up! I can’t wait to do my own Coleman-spotting when we get over there!

8. Anonymous June 8, 2007 at 2:01 pm #

Oooh, please tell us you will talk about the granite de cafe at Taza de Oro, which I discovered last weekend, as I sadly walked away from the Pantheon which was “chiusa” for the holiday?? Thanks for your blog, I loved it. I used it to guide me for my 2nd trip ever to Rome last week. Continuing to enjoy your blog even now that I am back in NYC.

9. Shelley - At Home in Rome June 8, 2007 at 4:42 pm #

Chris & Erin: I’m so relieved to see that someone else shares my warped sense of humor on this. I was sure that everyone would be shaking their heads wondering what had come over me (like my husband did when I saw Arnold 2 when we were in the car…I later actually rode back over on my bike to take a shot, I know, I’m nuts) but I tell you, I just can’t resist!Anon: Wow! I am very impressed. You have correctly guessed the topic I was getting at. How did you find out about it? I’m sure it was a good pick-me-up after the closed Pantheon let-down. And, I am so honored that my blog helped you with your trip!!

10. JennDZ - The Leftover Queen June 8, 2007 at 4:50 pm #

I think it is someone’s idea of a fun time, going around places in Italy and putting Arnolds everywhere just to get people talking, like we are here…are you sure its not you Shelley?!!? I mean, you do seem to be the common denominator here! 😉

11. Shelley - At Home in Rome June 8, 2007 at 4:56 pm #

Good one Jenn! Can you see it? I don’t even know how they got those things up so high, I mean, are they carrying ladders around with them, along with a bucket of glue and a brush to paste it on with? Bizarre!And, in my defense, I must defer to Eryn who has spotted Signore Coleman in Florence as well, a place I’ve only been to a couple times, making it *nearly* physically impossible for me to be the culprit… 😉

12. FinnyKnits June 8, 2007 at 8:07 pm #

That’s bizarre. The only place he shows up in the States is on the CashCall commercials.Nothing is sadder than a former child actor who’s funds were mismanaged so dramatically that his broke ass has to go on TV and tell other broke asses how to get “$1000 right now just by calling.”

13. Delina June 8, 2007 at 8:10 pm #

It makes me want to go plaster a massive Arnold up on the side of my building. I wonder what the condominio would have to say about that. Love it.

14. Expat Traveler June 9, 2007 at 3:47 am #

now that is too funny… I used to love that show!And I’m all too curious, does married life give you the permit now also? Read your wedding post for more comments. 🙂

15. jessica June 10, 2007 at 2:30 am #

this is interesting. keep us updated of arnold’s appearances.