Virtual Visit to the Pantheon

9 Jun

Well, not really the Pantheon itself, but rather the madness in front of and around it. I was struck the other day when I rode my bike through, noticing just how crazy it has gotten now that tourist season is in full swing. It’s hard to tell from the video but it was pretty chaotic. Plus, I can’t possibly resist an excuse to showcase the men who sell bubble guns. For the love!

Here’s a 360° view of what it looks like from the center of the piazza, taken a few days ago. The quality is bad because my camera was accidentally set to the “email” video function, so it wasn’t a big enough file to really be clear, but… I’m putting it up anyways. If nothing else, at least you can listen to all the electronically-generated madness from the above-mentioned bubble gun. (And the eternal question remains: who BUYS those things?)

6 Responses to “Virtual Visit to the Pantheon”

1. Eryn June 9, 2007 at 12:26 pm #

oh the pantheon, when i went it was late october and i still remember there being hoardes of tourists. bc i was studying there……we would always refer to ourselves as students…….not tourists *shiver.i remember the bubble guns being sold outside the colisseum.back to the rachel ray thing…..upon coming back to the states i remember being so out of touch with anything and everything american.

2. African Kelli June 9, 2007 at 12:31 pm #

LOVE. Cannot wait to see this for myself!Hey — did your wedding gift ever arrive? I sent it to Ale’s work pre-Africa trip. I have my fingers crossed the darn Italian post hasn’t swiped it.

3. Tea & Margaritas in My Garden June 9, 2007 at 3:22 pm #

I would love to see the pantheon someday and also travel to Tuscany….sighteaxo

4. Wanderlust Scarlett June 9, 2007 at 10:52 pm #

I love that you did the video, it’s pretty nice to look around the square (piazza?) and see everything and everyone. It is what I would have done, if I’d been standing there. As far as the bubble gun thing… that has to be for tourists. I think maybe no one who lives there would get one… but when we are on vacation, sometimes we buy the silliest things to try to take home some memento of the trip. Some people just have different taste than others. I’d skip the gun and bring home a gazillion photos and a bottle of vino.Scarlett

5. Isabelle June 10, 2007 at 8:37 am #

Yeah, the agitation in this place is incredible : I sat there once, on the “benches” along the Pantheon, waiting for my boyfriend who was getting some cash at a bank nearby and I was fascinated by the hustle and bustle around me.. I even regretted I didn’t have my camera then (great minds think alike ;-)I’m more and more eager to finally settle in Rome : how come we’re not already in September ??!!! 😉

6. J.Doe June 10, 2007 at 2:28 pm #

Having lived in Florence I thought I would be used to any influx of tourist but now I live in another tourist town across the pond. There are some places I just won’t go in the summer.