Scooters Were Made For Naps

15 Jun

Cat naps, that is.

Cat Napping

Big yawn!

Cat Yawning

17 Responses to “Scooters Were Made For Naps”

1. John. June 15, 2007 at 12:51 pm #

Oh, Rome and stray cats.

He/she looks an awful lot like my Salvador. Frankie would probably pee if she saw these pictures.

Btw, the new layout is really nice!

2. Shelley, At Home in Rome June 15, 2007 at 1:11 pm #

Hi John! Thanks for the compliment on the new blog site.

This particular cat is actually in pretty good shape. She’s taken care of by one of my neighbors and tends to hang out around that door a lot.

As you know, I’m a big cat-lover myself (adopted two of them from the Largo Argentina Shelter) so it really gets me when I see strays running random and in bad shape, but I think Rome does *fairly* well in terms of their health, at least compared to what I’ve seen in Greece… those cats are often in really miserable shape.

In any case, unfortunately the idea of spaying and neutering still hasn’t really made an impact here… it’s a problem.

BTW, do you have any pics of your gatti on your blog?

3. Gracie June 15, 2007 at 1:18 pm #

Isn’t it nice to be able to take a nap anywhere????

4. sognatrice June 15, 2007 at 3:39 pm #

Aw, everyone loves cute kitty photos, and that certainly includes me. Good to see one that’s well-fed! Did you catch my post a couple weeks ago when I performed a kitty rescue? I think you’d enjoy it 🙂

5. Heather June 15, 2007 at 3:44 pm #

He definitely looks MUCH better than the animals I saw in Greece. Everyone says the Greek government gives them shots so they don’t get sick, but they were so dirty and sad looking! I’ve never seen an animal so bad in Rome.

6. Shelley, At Home in Rome June 15, 2007 at 4:32 pm #

Gracie: Totally! I would love it. I myself have never really been a “nap” kind of person… can’t seem to fall asleep during the day… I know, in Italy that’s incomprehensible!!

Sognatrice: I most certainly did see that post a while back, and thoroughly enjoyed it. Such a cute adventure and I liked the way you described it and included the photos. I had no idea you lived in such a real “village” — super charming. And thank goodness for cat lovers like you!!

Heather: I knew I wasn’t the only one who had noticed this in Greece. The stray population there is waaaay out of control, and what’s worse, there doesn’t seem to be many people who take pity on them. I don’t want to generalize but I never saw anyone feeding them scraps, and on more than one occasion I actually saw local Greeks mistreating them and being cruel, which broke my heart to pieces. Here in Rome at least there’s a tradition of the “gattare” — women who love animals and cats in particular and feed the stray colonies. I think Anna Magnani was even a really famous one herself.

7. Shelley, At Home in Rome June 15, 2007 at 4:35 pm #

Here’s an article about the gattare I was referring to, and it does mention Anna Magnani.

8. cheeky June 15, 2007 at 5:34 pm #

Awww . . . . sums it up for me.

9. nyc/caribbean ragazza June 15, 2007 at 5:35 pm #

I am allergic to cats but I love them. Great photo.

10. Wanderlust Scarlett June 15, 2007 at 6:16 pm #

Asleep at the wheel huh?

Now that’s the best way to spend a Friday… I’m going outside to sun on my car.

Thanks for the giggles Shelley!

Caio!
    Scarlett & Viaggiatore

11. sandi @ the whistlestop cafe June 15, 2007 at 8:00 pm #

Oh, to be a cat in Rome~ They do have the life of luxury!

12. Valerie June 15, 2007 at 9:11 pm #

Aaaawwww, too cute! I miss having kitties. Ascoli is a major dog town, so not a lot of cats like in Rome. I’ve seen the gattare in the Villa Borghese park. One was putting out plates of spaghetti alla vongole! Lucky gatti!

13. Sierra June 15, 2007 at 10:06 pm #

That cat looks like my old pal Tigger. (may he rest in peace)

14. Shelley, At Home in Rome June 16, 2007 at 7:40 am #

Cheeky: Works in any language!

NYC: OH no!! What are you going to do when you move here and I want to invite you over for dinner? You’ll just have to take an antihistamine. Or, if it’s warm, we’ll move dinner outside to the roof… not too shabby!

Wanderlust: Sunning on the car… what, no scooters around?

Sandi: I know! When my husband comes back from an awful day battling in the Roman courthouse, he often looks at our cats and says he sometimes wishes he could live their life!

Valerie: I didn’t know that about Ascoli. And yes, I thought it was so funny when I first heard about cats eating pasta. Only in Italy!

Sierra: Tigger, riposa in pace!

15. Isabelle June 16, 2007 at 1:03 pm #

I particularly love the second picture 😉
    I remember a beautiful huge cat living nearby my home, 6 years ago, when I lived in the Monti. Once, he even managed to get INSIDE my apartment !!!

16. Aimee June 20, 2007 at 5:25 am #

Oh my goodness, that is so cute and funny! Love the yawning photo too, it’s almost like he’s saying “hey, why are you trying to wake me up by taking my photo!”.

17. Shelley, At Home in Rome June 20, 2007 at 10:25 am #

Aimee: Totally, I actually think the cat woke up when he (she?) felt my presence there taking the picture. I tried to be quiet!