Die Hard in Ancient Rome

19 Jul

I had another post planned for today but in the back of my mind I had told myself that if “this” happened, then I would post it on my blog, to give a shout out to a fellow Italy expat.

About a month ago I first discovered Sharon’s Respiri di Vita blog and one of her posts caught my eye. She had entered The Top 10 Contest for the Late Show with David Letterman online and won (you can see the post about her winning entry here). I thought, GO Sharon! Way to represent for us expats! Then, I started reading what people had submitted and thought, man, some people are really witty. And then, like most things that look easy but probably really aren’t, I thought, “Hey, I could do that!”

So I entered the contest for the next two weeks, offering up my quips for “Top 10 Signs Paris Hilton Might Be Having a Nervous Breakdown” (invites Nicole Richie to Sizzler for the all-you-can-eat buffet) and “Top 10 Ways Bob Barker is Spending His Retirement” (becomes a Walmart greeter and uses store intercom to encourage shoppers to “Come on Down!”). But when my little gems didn’t win, I thought, fine, fine, let’s give it one last try, and went for “Top 10 Rejected Titles for the New “Die Hard” Movie.”

I forgot to check back and see if I’d won, because by that point the novelty of playing had kind of worn off. But today in my inbox, I got a big “CONTEST WINNER!!” email. I’m like, argh, more spam. But when I clicked on the results from a few weeks back, sure enough, there I was!

Divertente (fun), no?! The prize is a Late Night t-shirt. I didn’t list Rome as my hometown–I still consider Washington state to be my original home.

So, a big grazie to Sharon for introducing me to this fun game. Go over and try your hand, it can be addictive.

Ok, I’ll admit, a part of me does wish I had been born Tina Fey… oh well, maybe next life. (BTW, how many of you knew that Tina Fey’s real name was Elizabeth “Stamatina”?! Hmm??)

16 Responses to “Die Hard in Ancient Rome”

1. Susan July 19, 2007 at 2:40 pm #

WOW…so happy I found your blog! My husband works overseas (We live in the US) and every time I mention maybe someday we might move to Europe, France I say…He says Italy. Very loudly! I say what about the UK (we speak a teeny tiny bit of French as in “Merci”)He says Italy. So we shall see…until that time comes I will LOVE visiting your blog! Just lovely!

2. Shelley, At Home in Rome July 19, 2007 at 2:51 pm #

Hi Susan! Benvenuta! At least France and Italy are fairly close…maybe you could find a compromise somehow, part time in France and part time in Italy!! Glad you like the blog, thanks for the kind words.

3. Stacy July 19, 2007 at 3:04 pm #

Hey that’s cool shelley! AND you made the #2 spot!!! Look at you – you are a very clever lady (but we already knew that). =)

4. Sara, Ms. Adventures in Italy July 19, 2007 at 3:07 pm #

I just entered this week’s…I hope we keep entering and maybe we can take over the Top 10 completely πŸ™‚

5. Shelley, At Home in Rome July 19, 2007 at 4:17 pm #

Stacy: Grazie!!

Sara: I was thinking the same thing. I mean, we Italy expats are a witty bunch. I should have put Rome as my town but it just didn’t seem right when it was David Letterman, you know how it’s all “hometown” it would have sounded funny saying “Rome, Italy” when I’m not Italian… BTW I think you’d have a great chance of winning. Your captions on the gladiator photo were hilarious..I was still laughing about chariot strike a few days later. Just keep entering until you win, I mean, it’s free and who cares how many times you have to enter.

6. Lauren July 19, 2007 at 4:23 pm #

This really doesn’t have anything to do with this post (although I’m going to click on your Top 10 link in a minute…) I just wanted to say I love reading your blog, and I like the new look of it. I haven’t checked it in a few weeks, so I’m not sure when you switched to the new look. But I must say I LOVE the photo you have of the gladiators at the sandwich stand. When you first posted this image a few months ago, I emailed it to my husband immediately. We’d been to Rome recently, and loved the humor.
    Thanks for giving us a taste of Italy every day!

7. nyc/caribbean ragazza July 19, 2007 at 4:41 pm #

Congrats Shelley!! How does Elizabeth Stamatina become Tiny Fey? πŸ™‚

8. Shelley, At Home in Rome July 19, 2007 at 5:44 pm #

Thanks, Lauren! I love finding funny shots with random gladiators wandering the city. A little taste of Vegas, right here in Rome!!

NYC: Thanks! I know, that was funny, also because “stamattina” in Italian, with the extra “t” is (as you know) “this morning” — it’s like, who came up with that?? I can see how they got Tina from the end of it, but still… bizarre!

9. Shelley, At Home in Rome July 19, 2007 at 5:46 pm #

Oops, I just realized I had originally written “Tiny” Fey… typo! Funny too, because the Y is no where near the A on the keyboard… boh.

10. Elizabeth July 19, 2007 at 9:00 pm #

Congratulations!
    You know when you have really become an expat when you don’t know who Bob Barker or Tina Fey are…But even I know what Paris Hilton is up to!!

I love your sense of irony in always finding something curious and quirky to share about your new life.

11. Shelley, At Home in Rome July 19, 2007 at 9:27 pm #

Elizabeth: Yes, six years here is probably still considered a “new life” compared to your 20+ in Rome, for sure! And I don’t think I’ll ever be able to consider Rome my true hometown. But I must say that the marker for me of how you know when you’ve become an official Italy expat is when you’ve faced the Italian bureaucracy by yourself and been successful, living to tell the tale.

I think even if I were to live here for 30 years, I would still keep up with a bit of US gossip, that’s just me. Tina Fey I’ll forgive you for, she was just becoming famous when I left in 2001, so she’s relatively new. But Elizabeth, Bob Barker!? He started hosting The Price is Right in 1972! Has it really been that long??

When we go for the gelato tour, I’ll have to explain the Ashton Kutcher/Demi Moore reference… and get you some People magazines, stat!

12. FinnyKnits July 19, 2007 at 11:38 pm #

HA! Congrats – that’s a good one! And, you know, I couldn’t resist trying my hand at this fun game. I’m always up for a good Top 10 list.

13. Rebecca July 20, 2007 at 2:20 am #

Congrats! Sounds like a fun contest to try. I like your entry πŸ™‚

14. Sharon July 21, 2007 at 8:41 am #

Shelly…I think this calls for a get together to model the Letterman t/shirts. I think we should pull at least six expats into this contest and send the picture to the Late Show!

Good going…

15. Shelley, At Home in Rome July 21, 2007 at 10:35 am #

Sharon: EXCELLENT idea!!! I have a good feeling that Sara (Ms. Adventures in Italy) is next… we’ll have to work on each witty person in our blogging circle slowly but surely! All this humor concentrated in the bel paese, who would’ve thought??

16. jessica July 22, 2007 at 7:33 am #