Pasticcini at Antonini

26 Jul

Antonini

Oh, I know how you guys love a good food post. Me, too, because that means I have an excuse to indulge in any number of tempting treats you can find here in Rome. Today I’m going to take you to a locally famous bar that is rumored to have the best pasticcini (little pastries) in the city. G. Antonini opened back in 1927 as a latteria (milk shop) but in 1934 it took on its current title as pasticceria gelateria — pastry/gelato shop.

It might look a little unassuming from the outside, but don’t be fooled! This is the place to see and be seen, or at least one of them. On Sunday mornings you’ll find all the sidewalk tables full of people having a leisurely breakfast (cappuccino and cornetto, most likely) and soaking up the “atmosphere.”

Antonini

Inside is usually pretty chaotic. Ale and I have a couple of good friends of ours who live in this neighborhood, so sometimes if we are going to see them, we’ll stop in here to pick up some pasticcini before heading over, or if we’re early, we might drop in for an aperitivo. They don’t have an aperitivo bar, per se (more of a tradition in Milan), but it’s the whole idea of going to “Antonini” for an aperitivo. It has this kind of “I’m in the in club” connotation, or at least that’s the way I’ve always perceived the place. A little stuck up but not unaccessible.

So, right, I promised food, did I not? Pasticcini, specifically. Well, the lighting isn’t the best for this here amateur photog, but here’s a bit of what’s going on in the display cases:

Pasticcini

Pasticcini

Pasticcini are normally sold by weight at a price per kilo, so you choose the size tray that you want, and it gets weighed after you choose what you want to fill it up with. Sometimes we might just mention how many people we’re “shopping” for (us included!) and let the people behind the counter choose the tray size for us. And of course, once you choose which size of those gold-colored trays you want for your little treats, and once you pick them out one by one, the whole lovely confection gets wrapped in this gold paper and tied with a gold ribbon. As always, I love feeling like it’s my birthday every time I buy pastries in Italy. (You haven’t already forgotten La Dolce Roma, have you?)

Antonini

Last but not least, allow me to share with you what I found when I unwrapped my “birthday present” — I can pretend to be surprised when I open it:

Pasticcini

Hands off the mini-cannoli! Those are all mine!

But, alas, the battle for the best pasticcini in Rome is of course ongoing, so if you have a suggestion for your favorite place, by all means, do share in the comments section and I will do my best to *sacrifice* and perhaps go there to do a little undercover work myself. Until then, can anyone tell me exactly what the difference is between “pasticcini” and “mignon”? Are they the same thing?

G. Antonini Pasticceria Gelateria, Via Sabotino 19/29

24 Responses to “Pasticcini at Antonini”

1. Giulia July 26, 2007 at 2:08 pm #

You MUST stop posting such scrumptious looking photos… my monitor can only take so much licking! I fear my drool may do damage at some point. 🙂

I think pasticcini and mignon are both meant to mean ‘small’ when it comes to pastries.

2. nyc/caribbean ragazza July 26, 2007 at 4:02 pm #

sigh…what neighborhood is this in?

3. J July 26, 2007 at 5:00 pm #

I am drooling, that looks like absolute heaven! Yum!

4. Dena July 26, 2007 at 5:49 pm #

Love it. I was just sitting here at my desk craving a donut! Now, looking at your post today, yeah right. A donut is nothing in comparison! Looks scrumptious Shelley! ~D

5. Sherry July 26, 2007 at 6:26 pm #

DELISH! Wow. I have got to get to this place! How far is this from Trastevere?

6. gillian July 26, 2007 at 8:28 pm #

hey there…am in the states for the summer…but actually feeling homesick for rome!

lets make a plan to meet in late sept/early oct at dagnino’s (am sure that’s not at all how it’s spelled) the sicilian bar near republica for a taste test…very very good canoli with ricotta and chocolate!

7. Lisa July 26, 2007 at 9:05 pm #

mmmmm that loooks delicious! I would love to being a sfogliatelle right now!

8. odessa July 26, 2007 at 10:07 pm #

yum, yum, yum. i want a cannoli. now.

9. Lu July 26, 2007 at 10:59 pm #

Not really, just that pasticcini is Italian and mignon is French, so it is tres chic to call them mignon. most place say they have “pasticceria mignon” to say they have small pastries (pasticcini). Of course, mignon does not mean “small” in French, but “cute”, but pasticcini are cute, aren’t they?
    Since you have made it to Prati, go to taste the ice-cream at Vanni in Via Monte Zebbio, Giolitti in Via Settembrini, and Settimo Gelo in Via Vodige. And grt a cornetta in the morning at Fagiani in Via Ferrari.

10. rachael July 27, 2007 at 2:55 am #

I’m drooling on my keyboard. Canada is not really known for bakeries, pastries etc. And I love all the packing, very pretty, although not very green!

11. vegqueen July 27, 2007 at 8:26 am #

rachael, you took the words right out of my mouth: “not very green”. yep, not green at all!! i’d rather have eco-friendly packaging than pretty packaging.

12. Shelley, At Home in Rome July 27, 2007 at 10:11 am #

NYC: It’s in Prati, we can go there next time you visit.

Sherry: It’s probably about a 20 min. or so bus ride from Trastevere (bus 271 from Lungotevere Cenci).

Gillian: Dagnino’s is of course the gold standard for cannoli. I’ll have to start saving up my money now though… boy are they pricey!!

Lu: Thanks for the recs. Looks like I have some homework to do!

Racheal/Vegqueen: Rome is the land that “green” forgot. I’m sure pastry packaging is the last thing on people’s minds when in fact we have recycling bins on the streets that then get dumped in with the rest of the normal trash. How’s THAT for green?

13. ginkers July 27, 2007 at 5:21 pm #

Oh, how I miss a good pasticceria. The cakes in Scotland all seem to have an atomic weight that puts them in danger of smashing through the table you put them on…

14. Kelli July 27, 2007 at 7:07 pm #

Oh, I am kinda sick to my stomach looking at all of those lovelies. I just know I wouldn’t have any self-control!

15. jessica in rome July 27, 2007 at 7:36 pm #

Hey winner! Your blog got picked for 2 Schmooze awards (one from me and one from Sognatrice) Much deserved! 🙂

16. Elizabeth July 27, 2007 at 8:15 pm #

Hi Shelley, just back from the Aeolian islands and THE VERY BEST Sicilian granita at Alfredo’s on the island of Salina. The Sicilian almond pastries weren’t bad either, and the Malvasia after-dinner wine, and the amazing capers (nothing like the GS variety) and Sicilian cherry tomatoes…..well, you must go!!

17. Wanderlust Scarlett July 28, 2007 at 4:53 am #

Shelley!

Oh my gosh… those look so good!
    When I walked through the patisseries in Paris it seemed like I was visiting food art galleries.
    It would appear that Rome is the same.
    This one is going on the ‘must’ list!
    I always love the ‘insiders scoop’ you give us in these posts.
    Absolutely priceless!

Scarlett & Viaggiatore

18. cathy July 28, 2007 at 2:18 pm #

Hi Shelley! We’re back home after an amazing 5 weeks in Italy, including the lovely week we spent in your apartment, and I have to say we miss the italian pastries, especially my husband! Today we tried looking for pastries similar to what we had while in Italy but to no avail. However we did have a win – we found Illy coffee at the supermarket! (espresso tho, not moka which is what we are really after).

19. somepinkflowers July 28, 2007 at 8:27 pm #

i am so greedy,
    i would want one of each

and then would eat it straight away up…

oh, wait…
    that is EXACTLY what i did
    went i was there.
    thank goodness for all the walking.

the paper & ribbon were packed for home
    if not whipped creamy.

you DO know where to go & what to eat,
    soon you will pass rick steves
    in informing folks what to visit in rome.

can your book be far behind?

🙂

20. nyc/caribbean ragazza July 29, 2007 at 4:15 pm #

make that 3 awards! I nominated you as well.

21. Avery July 30, 2007 at 7:19 pm #

Pasticceria Cavalletti! Pasticceria Cavalletti!
    They are the best I’ve had in Rome and their millefoglie is to die for. Supposedly they make one every year for the Queen of England. Boh! Via Nemorense 179/181

22. Leslie Smyers August 12, 2007 at 7:49 am #

Oh my God! There’s those tiny little eclairs I can’t get enough of!
    I can’t wait to go back! We don;t have those in Australia.

23. FrenchLad August 21, 2007 at 11:02 pm #

Mignon is synonymous with small.

The person earlier who said “mignon” does not mean “small” is incorrect.

Mignon is most often used to refer to small and adorable things. Like little children, pastries, etc.

You would never call an attractive woman “mignon”.

24. casey June 24, 2008 at 10:30 pm #

I love this place! im a New Zealander who use to live at via sabotino 31! awesome living so close