Green T – Upscale Chinese Dining in Rome

30 Oct

Thanks to Heidi Swanson’s blog 101 Cookbooks, that must get like a trillion visitors seeing as how it somehow got into the Gmail web clips that get listed on top of the Gmail inbox, I was introduced to this lovely little restaurant. Out of the 20 things on her list of what she encountered in Rome, I had seen, tasted, or done almost everything except #9, Green T. I was intrigued so I grabbed my pal Eleonora, who usually accompanies me on my lunch-time blogging adventures, and rolled up my sleeves so I could report back to you. I am now here to say that I officially give this place two chopsticks up.

The ambience is totally relaxed and upscale-Chinese elegant. Meaning, you won’t see any blinking Christmas lights encircling the dining room (something I have seen in more than one Chinese restaurant here). Rather, you’ll see a lot of smooth black laquered furniture and screens, tea pots galore, and even some clothing on display that you can purchase in a small downstairs boutique.

When our waiter arrived, the first question was if we needed forks. Being the brave souls that we are, we proudly replied that forks would not be necessary. I love eating with chopsticks, even if my technique isn’t exactly the best.

There are a few different lunch specials to choose from, ranging in price from about €9 to, if I remember correctly, €13 or so. Both Ele and I got the vegetarian special, which was made up of soup, cold noodle salad, warm cooked vegetables, and a steamed bread dumpling. The dish was presented in a unique tray divided into four compartments and it was fun just to look at:

The portions aren’t big, but I have to say that after finishing everything, I didn’t feel hungry, but just right. Usually when I go out to Chinese, I end up ordering way too much and never finish it, so this was kind of a welcome relief from that stuffed feeling I normally get. Plus, the flavors were definitely not as generic as standard Chinese fare.

In fact, there was room for dessert, which wasn’t fried ice cream (strangely enough, while a staple in Mexican restaurants in the States, you find it in Chinese restaurants here in Italy), thankfully. We both ordered a coconut dumpling cake with a citrus compote/glaze which was just lovely. Unfortunately the photo came out a bit blurry, but I’ll share it with you anyways:

Located near the Pantheon, Green T is a convenient lunch stop if you’re out sightseeing (and are looking for a brief break from pasta and pizza) but is also open for dinner. I can’t wait to drag some more friends there.

Green T, via del Piè di Marmo 28

19 Responses to “Green T – Upscale Chinese Dining in Rome”

1. Sara, Ms. Adventures in Italy October 30, 2007 at 1:51 pm #

Wow, upscale Chinese dining in Italy is a novelty…I haven’t been impressed with the Chinese food here, so maybe paying more = better. πŸ™‚

2. Sherry October 30, 2007 at 3:39 pm #

Interesting – I was sketched out by the Chinese restaurants I saw on my visit but this place sounds and looks good. While I was in Rome I wondered generally whether there were good ethnic restaurants (Thai, Japanese, West African, etc) and surmised that there must be with Rome being as cosmopolitan as it is. At least now I know there is Chinese

3. nyc/caribbean ragazza October 30, 2007 at 4:18 pm #

Thanks for the tip. I must have some good Chinese food nearby.

4. Shelley, At Home in Rome October 30, 2007 at 5:27 pm #

Sherry: There are actually quite a few good ethnic restaurants in the city, but you definitely have to search them out. I might do a post with a list of my favorites.

5. Sarah Newton October 30, 2007 at 6:47 pm #

Im sorry am I seeing a Jam Doughnut in Rome! Are my eyes deceiving me?

Sarah

6. squiggy October 30, 2007 at 8:48 pm #

Sherry, good ethnic food is hard to come by in Rome. Obviously there are options but not as many as we Americans might be used to. Chinese food (for the most part) is totally sketchy as you noticed. I’m excited to try out this upscale place Shelley mentioned. Japanese is great but very expensive. Thai is decent but expensive. Indian is decent and affordable. Ethiopian is divine and affordable. Middle eastern is mediocre and expensive. Mexican is crappy and over-priced. Humm, I think that’s about it!

7. Roam 2 Rome October 30, 2007 at 8:59 pm #

It does look more upscale than other Chinese restaurants I’ve seen in Italy… loved the soft atmosphere and plate style.

Though I must admit I had to giggle a little when I read “Allegri Cinesini” πŸ˜‰

8. my melange October 30, 2007 at 11:05 pm #

Ohh, it looks really good quality Chinese food. Nice and fresh- not globbed up with a bunch of nasty, unhealthy sauce or MSG. Thanks for the recommendation πŸ˜‰

9. Robert October 31, 2007 at 11:09 am #

This does sound good and thanks for profiling it. I must admit when in Italy for any length of time I do get a bit tired of the carbohydrate rich meals. Normally my solution is to visit the Hard Rock Cafe in Rome, but the Chinese option would be very very appealing.

10. Elle October 31, 2007 at 2:05 pm #

Looks really yummy, thanks for sharing this place with us, I shall drag the other half along there very shortly!

11. Sherry October 31, 2007 at 3:04 pm #

That would be awesome if you did a post Shelley!

12. lisa October 31, 2007 at 10:34 pm #

It’s funny because I was always scared to eat chinese food in Italy as my italian friends said the Polizia inspected them and discovered they were serving rats and serpants…then again that happens in China town in NYC, but upscale chinese must be good! thanks for the post! πŸ™‚ lisa

13. lorraine@italianfoodies October 31, 2007 at 10:43 pm #

I’m surprised too as I’ve never had chinese in Italy as it has quite a bad reputation? Must try it out next time we’re there! Chinese restuarants are the most popular restaurants in Ireland at the moment, there are so many and most of them serving the same menu – yawn!!!

14. Kelli October 31, 2007 at 11:20 pm #

Yum. That looks so good! Is there a large expat community living in Rome? Do you have food from all over the world?
    The gift shop looks pretty great too. Fun!

15. Shelley, At Home in Rome November 2, 2007 at 10:22 am #

I actually didn’t know that Chinese places had such a bad reputation here in Rome…despite often being tacky, I’ve always found them fairly harmless. There’s a Chinese place right by S. Maria in Trastevere church (if you’re facing the church, it’s on the corner of the street to the right), called Ci-Lin, and we go there often. The food is good and the owners are really nice. Chinese food is one of the cheapest ways to eat out in Rome.

Kelli: I don’t know numbers on the expat community, but I guess I’d say Rome is *relatively* diverse (although in my observation not as much as most big US cities), and there is usually at least one restaurant representing any given type of ethnic cuisine. Although the one Ethiopian restaurant I knew of just closed down, sad.

16. squiggy November 2, 2007 at 11:06 am #

Oh girl, don’t fret… there are several VERY good ethiopian places in Rome. It’s one of the few ethnic cuisines that remains truly authentic and GOOD. I’m hoping the one you’re referring to (that closed) isn’t one of the spots I’m about to mention:
    AFRICA (Via Gaeta #26)
    MASSAUA (Via Montebello #28)
    SAHARA (Viale Ippocrate #43)

17. Francesca November 4, 2007 at 8:09 pm #

thanks for this information!

18. pissed off.. July 27, 2008 at 12:27 am #

I just had my dinner here, must say the place is gorgeous..and the food was interesting..but my oh my!! they were such snop! especially the owner..overpriced n terrible attitude! the waiters were great, by the owner’s attitude pissed me off big time. WILL NEVER GO BACK!

19. Ellen June 28, 2009 at 7:14 pm #

I had dinner there with my mom when we were in Rome about 4 days ago, and we are native local chinese people, the food was delicious, and it feels like home, the host is very nice, the waiters are very nice as well, and the food was excellent. Hightly Recommended!