Italian Fruit-Scented Blankets

8 Nov

blanket.JPG
Photo found here

No, NaBloPoMo hasn’t caused me to totally lose it. Yet. This is something I’ve never seen before and I’m curious to know if you were aware of the existence of such an item.

Ale’s birthday was this week and so he received a few gifts. One of which I had never seen the likes of, but the scent of which took me back to about 6 years old. He received, all rolled up in a fashionable little box, a strawberry-scented throw blanket.

A strawberry-scented blanket?!

Yes, indeedy. It smells exactly like this little plastic Strawberry Shortcake figurine I had when I was like 5 or 6 years old. Exactly like it.

So, fun novelty gift, right? And yet… one wonders… at least, I wonders… have we really a need for fruit-scented blankets in this world?

You can get them in five juicy flavors—well, four juicy flavors plus one chocolate. There’s strawberry, lemon, green apple, and orange. Collect them all!

So another question is: does the scent wash out? Our gift-giving friend told us it does not. Miracles of modern technology, people.

Let’s all thank the Happidea company, whose website seems to make no mention of their trendy little product, for filling such a void in the throw-blanket market. I just hope my cats don’t try to eat it.

14 Responses to “Italian Fruit-Scented Blankets”

1. Giulia November 8, 2007 at 10:19 am #

Yum, all scents that I love! Just yesterday, I was in Carrefour and saw those round felt thingies that go under chairs. Ya know, those things that keep the chair from making that horrible dragging noise across the floors? Well, they were scented and I thougt that was strange as I had never seen them come like that before.

2. sognatrice November 8, 2007 at 10:39 am #

Geez and to think I have a tough enough time finding scented candles here. Who knew I could’ve just grabbed a blanket and had it covered. Hah! Get it? Ahem.

NaNoBloMo is obviously doing a number on me as well….

3. Sara, Ms. Adventures in Italy November 8, 2007 at 11:02 am #

This is interesting to say the least! I think it could have a good application for children – but what about a blanket in roasted vegetables or spinach?? I bet if you wrapped them in that growing up they would always eat their vegetables.

I am curious to see if it wears off (or do you end up smelling like it?) I think I need one.

4. Sherry November 8, 2007 at 2:59 pm #

I am not sure how I feel about this. Very strange but I guess such a development was inevitable as scented candles and plug in air freshners are so popular why wouldn’t you want to literally wrap yourself in your favorite scent. I could never get that chocolate scented one. I can just imagine waking up finding that I have been sucking on my blanket as I napped.

Giulia – that is so strange that they have those felt pads scented. Who is going to be turning up the chairs to smell the bottom of the legs? I guess it may work to scent the room the chair is in. Hmmm….

5. nyc/caribbean ragazza November 8, 2007 at 3:30 pm #

I wonder if the smell would fade as well and what they used to actually scent the blanket.

6. erin November 8, 2007 at 4:29 pm #

i had one of those plastic dolls too and I can still remember the smell – it’s one of those childhood memory-smells

7. Andrea November 8, 2007 at 6:11 pm #

Ok all I am gonna say is Ewww. First of all why would you give this gift to an adult. That is like getting a scratch and sniff sticker for your 50th birthday, the second thing is… what the hey?? Who was sitting in their living room, cuddeling under a throw blanket and said to themselves, I really wish this smelled of fruit, or better yet chocolate?? Very strange indeed!

8. cheeky November 8, 2007 at 8:51 pm #

Too weird.At least it gave you good blog material. I don’t think I’d be too fond of the strawberry scent but green apple sounds yummy.
    Good thing you don’t have dogs. I could see a dog chewing it to shreds.

9. Janavi November 9, 2007 at 2:42 am #

Sounds like they are probably full of chemicals.
    Though chocolate sounds kind of yummy.

10. Tiffany Johnston December 8, 2007 at 11:46 pm #

I have a store in Houston and we carry these scented throw blankets. They are wonderful.

11. Lawrence Pritchard December 15, 2007 at 5:52 am #

Our store, OwenLawrence in Atlanta, has sold hundred’s of these unique scented throw blankets/rugs during the last week after being featured on a major national television shopping segment and being picked up by the print and internet media across the USA. We have sold out of a few of the scents and have our last shipment arriving from Italy on 17 December. We are shipping them all over the USA. People love such a unique gift item.

12. Lawrence Pritchard December 15, 2007 at 5:54 am #

The OwenLawrence website address is listed below:

13. SUZAN December 15, 2007 at 6:47 pm #

I need help!! I need to find out how to buy the Italian Fruit scented blanket. If anyone nows how PLEASE help!!!
    Thanks Suzan
    P.S. Saw on Good Moring America

14. Lawrence Pritchard December 26, 2007 at 11:00 pm #

suzan,

we still have some limited inventory in our store in Atlanta. Zero inventory of raspberry and apple. you may order online at http://www.owenlawrence.com or calling:800.499.3607 and we will ship your choice (s) We are the store that was featured on Good Morning America!