The Old Man and the Porsche

14 Nov

Great article from La Repubblica the other day. Allow me to paraphrase:

An 83-year old retired man from Padova was stopped on the A4 freeway near Vicenza going 257 kilometers per hour behind the wheel of a Porsche. He tried to justify himself with the highway patrol by saying, “I have a bit of a limp, I walk with a cane, and my right foot is a little heavy: I’ve lost all feeling in my right foot.”

Ya like that? “I can’t feel my right foot anymore.”

The article said the man describes himself as a “noted businessman.” I guess that’s how he ended up with a Porsche, no?

He lost 10 points from his driver’s license (which only have a total of 20 points) and was fined €357. And what did the police say to him?

“Next time, go slower.”

Ah, such wisdom.

9 Responses to “The Old Man and the Porsche”

1. Giulia November 14, 2007 at 2:50 pm #

My assumption is that the officer is holding a scanner in that photo. Woudn’t it be easier to just sit in the car, facing traffic, and point it through the windshield?

Old man has a heavy foot, eh? I think that excuse fits right up there with “The dog ate my homework!”

2. qualcosa di bello November 14, 2007 at 3:15 pm #

oh my. i do not think the reflexes of an 83 y.o. are compatible with such a speed, but then again…he was quick-thinking & creative! i must remember that excuse…

a good story to start my morning..thanks!

3. nyc/caribbean ragazza November 14, 2007 at 4:51 pm #

I’m sorry, what was that story again? I was distracted by the photo.

4. Elizabeth November 14, 2007 at 5:22 pm #

Italians don’t have a reputation for creativity for nothing!

5. Jackie November 14, 2007 at 5:39 pm #

ahh, this is what i always say too. that darned heavy foot!

6. cheeky November 14, 2007 at 10:09 pm #

Is it just me or do those police uniforms look a little “village people”. Is that a terrible thing to say?

7. Farfallina November 15, 2007 at 12:08 am #

Mmm, over here a serious business lady with long salt and pepper hair down to her waist decided to go to an off road and test to see how fast that baby went, and after reaching ridiculously high speed, just like the 83 year old man, the cop stopped her, and he actually didn’t write down the true speed.

He said that if he’d write how fast she was really going, he’d have to arrest her.

Really? going too fast warrants an arrest? Well, it is dangerous, but I hadn’t heard of it before…

8. Joannie November 15, 2007 at 9:34 pm #

I’m really concerned that you haven’t posted for the day yet! It’s in the evening over there, so you still have time to make it… I got so excited when I saw you were going to post everyday, and today I was really surprised to come here and not find a new post! : ) Such pressure you have on you now! : )

Seriously, Shelley, thanks for blogging from Rome. I really enjoy reading about your adventures, great and small. Thanks for taking the time to write on here for our enjoyment!!

9. Jeff November 16, 2007 at 4:10 pm #

I say we take away the Porsche give the old man a 1984 Fiat Panda. That should solve the problem of him speeding even if he has a “foot problem”

Jeff