Nothing to Do With Anything: Berlin Restrooms

27 Nov

Before I get started, don’t forget to enter today’s Dolce Italiano contest by visiting and leaving a comment at Lucullian Delights. Today’s featured dish is Chocolate Kisses! And if you didn’t get all your gifts squared away on Black Friday, I can assure you that this cookbook is an easy way to get a few people crossed off of your Christmas list, especially all the Italophiles or foodies; if you’re on the European side of the Atlantic, it’s even available at Amazon UK.

So, today’s post is really random and has nothing to do with Italy or Rome, but so be it. Sometimes I see things that I just can’t resist posting about, regardless.

I was in Berlin for the weekend a couple weeks ago and we visited the Olympic Stadium where the World Cup was held and where the 1936 Olympics were held. Quite impressive.

One thing that really had me amused though was the way they marked the men’s and women’s restrooms. Usually you see the plain stick figure for the men’s, and the stick figure with a skirt for the women’s, right? And here that was true for *most* of the restrooms. But two of the restrooms were just slightly different. Judge for yourself.

All the men’s looked like this:

Good enough, I get it. But two of the women’s restrooms looked like this:

I had to laugh. So, the women’s was indicated by the hips. Gotta love it. I kind of did a double take. Most of the women’s had skirts, but a few didn’t…just the extra curves.

Random observation. Thanks for indulging me.

And while we’re on the topic of signs in Berlin, yes I did fall in love with the east Berlin crosswalk men, known as “ampelmanchen.” Adorable.

Back to Italy tomorrow…

10 Responses to “Nothing to Do With Anything: Berlin Restrooms”

1. nyc/caribbean ragazza November 27, 2007 at 3:49 pm #

A sign with hips. I have never seen that before. Hilarious.

2. André Wegner November 27, 2007 at 4:10 pm #

Fun thing about your pictures of the Ampelmännchen is, that you took the picture in the former western part of Berlin (Hardenbergstraße).
    As far as I remember the Berlin parlament decided to use the eastern one in west and east Berlin some years ago.

3. cheeky November 27, 2007 at 5:50 pm #

Olympic Stadium is impressive, I agree. The “littlemen” crosswalk signs are neat. I love the “chen” ending. It’s a way of making things smaller, or miniature, more in a figurative way. When speaking to a child it is common to end many words with “chen”. I miss Germany.

4. Chrissie November 27, 2007 at 5:52 pm #

Here’s how to combine Berlin and Roma–when I was in Berlin this summer with a group of teens, some of the kids I had with me bought pasta in the shap of the “littlemen!”

5. Maryann November 27, 2007 at 11:59 pm #

I like the little man at the crosswalk too!As far as the signs on the restrooms..it’s pretty interesting. Some woman don’t wear skirts and some don’t have curves haha

6. CP November 28, 2007 at 2:09 am #

The symbol for women too funny. I guess the German’s wanted to give the women an hourglass figure, with the small waist and large hips.
    I was in Berlin for 3 days back in August and I really liked it there. Such a great city, I only wish I could have spent more time there. Oh well, now I have a good excuse to go back.

7. Shelley, At Home in Rome November 28, 2007 at 12:34 pm #

André: Thanks for the info. and for the correct spelling (I couldn’t remember for the life of me how to spell that correctly as I don’t speak any German!) I had read that these little guys were a fixture in east Berlin but didn’t know that they were also found in west Berlin as well…I didn’t keep track very well of where I saw them and I still did see lots of “standard” crosswalk men in other parts of the city. I had read in my guide book that when the city wanted to do away with the little guys, there was something akin to a public uprising because people had become so attached to them! I saw someone with an umbrella that had them printed on it, but it was €25 so I didn’t think it was worth the splurge… especially given the strong winds that would have almost certainly broken it almost immediately!!

Chrissie: I saw the pasta too. In fact there were a couple stores that sold only Ampelmännchen memorabilia… unfortunately the prices were pretty much insane so I didn’t get anything, just my photos.

8. André Wegner November 28, 2007 at 7:44 pm #

That’s true.
    Those “Ampelmännchen” are one nice aspect of “Ostalgie” (from “Nostalgie”), keeping things from the former GDR which aren’t attached to political views.

Well you have your experiences in Rome with cheapjacks. Believe me, it’s the same in Berlin.

9. André Wegner November 28, 2007 at 7:45 pm #

mmh, looks like me cite-tags have been filtered. Sorry.

10. Sophie November 29, 2007 at 4:13 pm #

I have seen Walking Man before, but not Hip Lady. I love her. Now I love the Berliners, too.