The Scariest Shop Window in My Neighborhood

13 Dec

An update to yesterday’s post: apparently the truckers have come to an agreement with the government and things should get back to normal now (whatever that is around here). The news says it will take about a week or so for the fruits and veggies to get back in the stores as usual.

And, just because I’m plain tired of discussing problems, here’s something totally off the wall.

There’s a shop on the main street near my house that has what I think is a kind of creepy window display. It’s like a hairstylist shop, but there are curtains over the window and glass door that are ALWAYS closed, so I have no idea what it looks like inside. They advertise “extensions”, written with those obnoxious colored stick-on letters you can buy at a hardware shop, that no one ever seems to manage to stick on in a straight line. The whole look is very 60s, and the creepiest part are the head mannequins displaying wigs, which have definitely seen better days.

How do you like that hair hanging from the mirror? Eek.

Come a bit closer and feel their pain:

Looks like she’s had one too many trips to Michael Jackson’s plastic surgeon and permanent makeup artist. Put her out of her misery!

I’m afraid to see any woman who gets her hair cut here.

12 Responses to “The Scariest Shop Window in My Neighborhood”

1. jessica in rome December 13, 2007 at 11:51 am #

The head right under the mirror looks like this woman I see at the mall every time I go there! Scary!

2. Buda Baby December 13, 2007 at 12:17 pm #

Reminds me of the entrance to St. Mungo’s, if you are a Harry Potter fan.

3. anna l'americana December 13, 2007 at 2:08 pm #

Forgive me for going off-topic, but: So ordering the truckers back to work actually worked? Jimmy Hoffa would be rolling in his grave (wherever that may be!)
    Too much!

4. Sestofi December 13, 2007 at 2:31 pm #

There is a shop just like that in Florence. I was walking by one day with an acquaintance, and in fact commented on how wierd the display looked. That’s when she told me that her mother went to that shop after her chemo treatments. Needless to say, I felt like a stupid arse for making that crack.

5. Shelley, At Home in Rome December 13, 2007 at 3:01 pm #

Sestofi: I know, the thought had crossed my mind too that there are people who find themselves in circumstances beyond their control (such as chemo patients) in which they actually do need or decide to wear wigs, and obviously I’d be the last person to ever make light of that as cancer has tragically touched my family. But still, must wig shops be so incredibly depressing looking? I think no, but hey, maybe in Italy that’s the way it goes.

6. nyc/caribbean ragazza December 13, 2007 at 4:01 pm #

I see little shops like this in L.A. in the Fairfax district. That area used to be an older Jewish neighborhood but now it’s “hipster” central. I always wondered who buys wigs at place like this. I guess they have their old-school regulars who don’t know about the Raquel Welch or Beverly Johnson collections.

7. Brendan December 13, 2007 at 7:05 pm #

I am going to have nightmares tonight!

8. Nella December 14, 2007 at 1:33 am #

Oh Shell, you’ve been away from the States too long if you write

because the Chinese accent in Italian changes the R to L

That’s the Chinese accent full stop, not just in Italian! Japanese too. They can’t hear the difference between L and R so it’s hard for them to pronounce them correctly.

Don’t you remember the corny ‘You want fried lice?’ joke from when you were little ?

9. Brandy December 14, 2007 at 4:29 pm #

I wait for the bus in front of that window. I’ve been meaning to bring a camera and post something about it. Thank you for beating me to it.

10. Rachele January 12, 2008 at 8:49 pm #

thre is a shop similar to this one near my old apartment near Prenestina….yeah, i know what was i thinking living there. live and learn hahaha

11. Rachele January 12, 2008 at 8:50 pm #

Than little head reminds me of a shop that sold similar things near my old apartment near Prenestina…yeah, i know what was i thinking living there….ya live and learn i guess. hahahah

12. skyecrafts August 11, 2008 at 12:35 am #

I love it. Really, I do. Yes, they have seen better days and seem to be breaking apart. However, what a refreshing change of pace from the monotony of todays strip mall , big box world.

bring on the creepy heads. I have a manniquin myself in my shop and she looks dead and angry. She has her eyes shut and her mouth looks like she is furious. She has creeped my customers out.But I will take a creepy manniquin over the humdrum that is suburbia today.