It’s Looking A Lot Like Christmas in Rome

17 Dec

A couple signs you know it’s Natale around these parts…

Panettone, anyone? Pandoro? Christmas cakes lining the sidewalk outside an enoteca… they’ll throw in a bottle of spumante for less than €5 total. Not a bad deal!

I think this is one of the most common Christmas decorations in all of Italy. Maybe it’s just me, but it seems that these little Santas trying to get into windows are hung on apartment buildings all over the city, and the country for that matter.

Apparently a cold front is coming in and it could even snow in Lazio. It snowed here in Rome for about 10-20 minutes about four years ago. Seeing the snow come through the oculus in the Pantheon is a pretty rare event!

9 Responses to “It’s Looking A Lot Like Christmas in Rome”

1. finnyknits December 17, 2007 at 7:20 pm #

Shh…wishing here…*Please let it snow while I’m in Rome*

2. jessica December 17, 2007 at 8:31 pm #

AHH! We are guilty of the hanging Santa! We were in Nemi the night before last and it was SOOOOO cold!!! Either I have lost my tolerance for Eastern Washington like weather, or it really is freakishly cold here.

3. nyc/caribbean ragazza December 17, 2007 at 8:59 pm #

Are they really going to sell all of that Panettone?

The little Santa is so cute. ha

4. Brendan December 17, 2007 at 10:17 pm #

“Are they really going to sell all of that Panettone?” No, they’re going to somehow turn it into Colombo in time for Easter.

5. J.Doe December 18, 2007 at 4:15 am #

I love Pandoro. Too bad they don’t sell it by me. They do sell Pannettone, but not in such huge quantities and not for 5 Euro with Spumante either.

6. Rachael December 18, 2007 at 7:03 am #

I just discovered an Italian grocery store near my workplace and they have mountains of Panettone, Pandoro, and Torrone by Sorelle Nuzia.

7. Robert December 18, 2007 at 9:13 am #

Pannettone here varies in price from €15 to over €20 depending on type. I usually play Scrooge and wait until January when you can pick them up for €10 or less (still expensive by Italian standards). Spumante alone costs €15 per bottle here.

Would be something very special indeed if it snowed in Rome on Christmas Day. I see it has already started to snow in Le Marche, so if the cooler weather can just cross the mountains to you it just might happen…

The hanging Santas are very popular here as well, as are the Santas in bubbles that are tied to the roof of the house (looks very odd).

8. Cinzia December 18, 2007 at 4:04 pm #

I brought a panettone to my friends in USA once. I had to almost “fight” with the French check guy in Paris (no problems in Rome, LOL)to carry it on board. He insisted I should have shipped it. How could have I…a soft panettone made by the Benedectine Monks??? No way, He added something in French about Italians and their manias but who cares??

9. Jerry Monaco December 18, 2007 at 5:49 pm #

I arrived back home from Rome to my New York apartment in Astoria, Queens. This is largely a Greek neighborhood, but there are also quite a few Italian delis and pastry shops. So the first time I walk into the Italian deli down the block from me, what should I see but the boxes of pannetone to remind me of an Italian Xmas.

Jerry Monaco