Procession of the Madonna del Carmine

19 Jul

Every July here in Trastevere we have the Festa de’ Noantri, a local celebration which is like a street fair, with musicians and various street vendors selling their wares. The highlight of the festival however is the procession of the Madonna del Carmine which takes place each year on the first Saturday following July 16.

A good article to give you some background info. can be found here.

It passes directly under my window and it just passed by, so I took a few videos for you.

Here is the Madonna as it approaches our house:

Here as it continues to make its way down the street:

And as it passes under the window–if you listen closely you can even hear the wood squeaking. Man, that thing must be HEAVY!

This is one of those times when suddenly Rome feels like a small little town instead of a big city. The Mayor walks by, as if we lived in a tiny mountain town of just a few thousand inhabitants… you can spot him because he is the one wearing the tri-color Italian flag sash:

Sigh… one more thing I’ll miss when we move!

11 Responses to “Procession of the Madonna del Carmine”

1. erin :: the olive notes July 19, 2008 at 7:56 pm #

YAY! I remember looking out your window very vividly…I loved the view and the neighborhood. Thanks for sharing this video. I would miss this too if I were you πŸ™‚

2. janavi July 19, 2008 at 8:22 pm #

It was really great to see this! Grazie.

3. Rose in Cali July 20, 2008 at 2:35 am #

I saw this last year when I was there, staying in the lovely Belli suite! I loved your neighborhood. I know you’ll miss it.

4. nyc/caribbean ragazza July 20, 2008 at 7:52 am #

I was running the other day and was wondering what was going on with all the street vendor booths and lights.

Great videos.

5. Miss Expatria July 20, 2008 at 10:15 am #

OMG LOVVVVVE stuff like this. UGH I miss Rome.

6. Dee July 21, 2008 at 7:57 pm #

Cool! BTW, I love your new pic of you and baby. So cute!

7. debbie sambrailo July 21, 2008 at 11:03 pm #

I just found your site; we will be in your neighborhood in a couple weeks coming from San Fran./Lake Tahoe area with 3 kids in tow Aug 4-9…for a quick detour to a family wedding. We rented an apt in Trav. so if you can give us some great restaurants please! Love your writings. Congrats on your baby. You two are just lovely! Don’t worry I am in barely any photos of our family…someone must take the shots…Best of luck in your move! dsambrailo@interorealestate.com

8. Jill July 22, 2008 at 6:40 am #

Here in my little town of Sicily this Festival was a big event! Thanks for sharing your video…

9. Rebecca July 23, 2008 at 3:29 am #

Thanks for sharing the videos, I love that kind of stuff! Great link for the article too. πŸ™‚

10. jessica July 23, 2008 at 3:41 am #

wow, right outside your home.