Real Gelato in Seattle

29 May

And by that I mean: quite possibly even better than you could find in Italy. *gasp*

“Blasphemy!” you cry.

But: no!

Ever since we decided to settle here in Washington, we’ve built up a lovely little community of fellow Italian expats. One of them, our friend Marco D’Ambrosio, has taken the brave leap of opening a gelateria and today is the “soft” opening (pun intended). Meaning, free gelato for anyone lucky enough to be passing by, and advance notice for friends and family.

This is not just any gelateria, however.

It’s run by Marco and his father, who attended university and got a degree in gelato-making for this, his second career. Don’t you just love it already?

Last night Alessandro and Vincenzo went to the grand opening. So fun! I had to go to school *bleh* but Ale brought back some gelato for me. In a word: amazing! Or, as one Italian I know once said: AH-MAH-ZEENG-AH. Seriously.

And, BTW? THIS is the gelato we’re going to serve at our restaurant. Yay!

Hello, it’s already got a 5-star review on Yelp and it’s not even officially open yet. I’m serious, people, it’s THAT good.

So, if you’re ever in Ballard, stop by and say hi to Marco.

And, Sara! My dear! We simply MUST add this to the Tour del Gelato.

Gelateria D’Ambrosio
5339 Ballard Ave. NW
(between Vernon Pl & N 22nd Ave)
Seattle, WA 98107

7 Responses to “Real Gelato in Seattle”

1. Sara, Ms. Adventures in Italy May 29, 2010 at 8:19 am #

Ah, ya! She’s back in the saddle πŸ™‚ I’ve added this to the Tour del Gelato, too!!

2. The Italian Dish May 29, 2010 at 3:45 pm #

I’ve bookmarked it!

3. Shelley, At Home in Rome May 29, 2010 at 4:45 pm #

Alas, Sara, how I have missed being part of the blogosphere and missed my expat friends. I am so happy I will have some time now to get back in touch.

And this place is so worthy of the gelato tour, I’m telling you it gives my favoritest in the world (Gelarmony) a real run for its money.

4. eleftheria May 29, 2010 at 6:42 pm #

Hi there !! From a former Seattlelite who has lived in Ballard, DT, Capitol Hill and Belltown, who now lives in Greece this is good to know for my next visit. I have sent it to many friends and fam !!!

5. Kianna Morgan June 12, 2010 at 3:06 am #

oh, i will make a note to visit in my have-no-idea-how-to-get-there-but-we-will trip to Italy. I am now determined, & on the verge of drooling.

6. Kianna Morgan June 12, 2010 at 3:07 am #

i mean seattle! uh, i have italy on the brain! so embarrassed!

7. Mary September 30, 2012 at 9:29 pm #

I’m a Seattleite who discovered Gelateria D’Ambrosio shortly after it opened. I lived for 3 months in Rome while at the University of Washington. I am SO happy to have this wonderful gelato in Seattle. It is indeed AMAZING!