Corona Gelateria Artigianale

1 Jul

Clicca qui per l’italiano

IMG_1962

There’s a little gelato shop near the 8 tram in Largo Argentina, that since I left Rome three years ago, has come under new management, and just might be in line to become one of my favorite new gelaterie.

Corona, I’ll forgive you for making me think of one of the sleaziest Italian personalities in recent memory, and try to remind myself that your name is noble (crown) and your gelato is … royal.

I was first intrigued by the “lemon and basil” flavor. I got a taste from the owner (unfortunately forgot to ask his name). It was lovely, but I wasn’t sure I’d enjoy an entire “coppetta” — so I opted instead for a delicious pear with pistacchio brittle (I know! Have you ever heard of such a thing? It was to die for!) and as my second flavor, the saffron and ricotta mix.

IMG_1963

People, I am telling you. Words cannot describe. How creative can you get with flavors? Forget chocolate and strawberry. Head over here for something really special.

Jump to comments

IMG_1962

C’e una piccola gelateria vicino al capolinea del tram 8 a Largo Argentina, che, da quando sono andata via da Roma tre anni fa, e’ stata messa sotto nuova gestione e ha cambiato nome. Adesso devo dire che sta in linea per diventare forse una delle mie gelaterie preferite.

Corona, ti perdono per il fatto che il vostro nome mi ricorda del squallidissimo Fabrizio Corona (pelle d’oca) e invece cerchero’ di ricordarmi che il vostro gelato e’ davvero nobile.

All’inizio mi sono incuriosita’ dal gusto “limone e basilico.” Il proprietario me l’ha fatto assaggiare ed e’ molto delicato. Comunque non ero sicura che mi sarebbe piaciuta tutta una coppetta. Percio’ ho optato invece per due gusti straordinari e molto creativi. Il primo: pera con una specie di croccante di pistacchi. Non mi ricordo il nome (vergognami) ma era una roba speciale…quel croccante sorprendente, complimenti ragazzi per un’idea originale! Poi il secondo gusto: ricotta e zafferanno. Delizioso.

IMG_1963

Veramente senza parole. Lasciamo perdere il cioccolato e la fragola. Ormai sono gusti andati. Andate qui per qualcosa di diverso e indimenticabile!

Corona Gelateria Artigianale
Largo Arenula 27

14 Responses to “Corona Gelateria Artigianale”

1. Egle July 1, 2011 at 10:00 am #

Oh sweet Lord, I wish I’d be in Rome right now. This exact minute. Can you get me there? Now? And please make it somewhere near Corona gelateria. Can you?

I just found your blog accidentally (actually while browsing through Ms. Adventures in Italy page). And I can’t get enough. For almost three hours (they were supposed to be dedicated for work) I’ve been sitting here and eating your words. Every bit of them. You are a truly seasoned and fantastic writer! The one that made me long for Italy so much (for six months I’ve been doing Erasmus and living in Sardegna) I couldn’t imagine I ever would.

And now I blame you for craving a truly artisan gelato. The one that only in Italy tastes sooooo good.

Thanks for being out there! Really.

2. nyc/caribbean ragazza July 1, 2011 at 10:06 am #

Katie Parla raves about that place!

Someone who used to work there was known for being super rude. That person is no longer working there. Grazie dio.

It’s right by my bank. I must go there more often.

3. Robyn Wilson July 1, 2011 at 4:54 pm #

“Yummy Yummy for my Tummy” one pear & pistacchio to go PLEASE……………………..oh wait a minute I mean to STAY :-0

4. Un'americana a Roma July 1, 2011 at 9:42 pm #

How sweet of you, grazie!

5. Un'americana a Roma July 1, 2011 at 9:42 pm #

You’re the one who re-introduced me to it! Credit due!! I really liked the guy that served us that one day we went there. He was nice. I think he was the owner.

6. Un'americana a Roma July 1, 2011 at 9:43 pm #

When you get here it’s on me!

7. Egle July 1, 2011 at 10:34 pm #

Di niente!

8. Katie Parla July 4, 2011 at 9:29 am #

Yay! Love Corona!! If you like pistachio their granita will change your life. Combine it with almond and youve got a delicious diabetic coma in your future. The younger guy that works there is the owner’s son. Owner used to own Gelateria aracoeli, which changed hands last year, and now youll see him at corona as well. His daughters work there too. Ciaooo!

9. Un'americana a Roma July 4, 2011 at 11:15 pm #

Awesome. I think I talked to the owner’s son then. You know all the low down. That’s why I heart you so … hope you are having a buonissimissimo viaggio!

10. reingarddesign July 5, 2011 at 1:58 pm #

You HAVE to bring me there. NOW.

11. rosann July 5, 2011 at 5:36 pm #

Just 9 weeks until I return to Rome for 3 months. I’ll be staying near the other end of Tram 8, so, as I head into the city, I’ll have to pop in once or twice (a week) and check it out. Thanks for the heads-up. I’m looking forward to trying it.

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. The Best Coffee in Rome « - February 23, 2012

[…] For the total indulgent sweet tooth experience, grab a gelato at Corona Gelateria next door. You will not be sorry! Especially in the summer when they have lemon with […]

2. White Chocolate and Pink Peppercorn Gelato « Un'americana a Roma - October 21, 2012

[…] all. Just wanted to create an entire post to express my ongoing appreciation of Gelateria Corona at Largo […]

3. Tram 8 Depot Moves to Piazza Venezia | Un'americana a Roma - May 9, 2013

[…] always worked around this piazza and am happy to say so, because clearly I love this square. The gelato. The coffee. The coffee again. And again. The pizza. The theater. The dude named Amadeo who draws […]