It’s What’s For Dinner

29 Sep

2011-09-29 13.55.03

Um, yep, it’s a Roman delicacy.

“Brains.”

Ew.

However, I must say that I am loving the fact that it’s “with butter.” I don’t know why. But that just makes me feel giddy. You never see butter served around these parts. “Brains in olive oil”? Oh no—just smother it in butter! Woooo!

If it were served in the States it would be brains with “I can’t believe it’s not butter!” — yes, the exclamation point is obligatory. It’s because they REALLY, REALLY can’t believe it’s not butter. (And, might I suggest you read “Imitation” from the aforementioned link. Seriously. You had no idea how many different ways those ad geniuses could come up with to say the same damn thing: it’s not effing butter, people, and yet, yet, I just can’t seem to fathom the concept! Enough already!)

BTW how do you like the overhead markers for the prices? Just in case the price of brain suddenly jumps? Gotta be ready. “In this economy…” (most overused phrase of the early 21st century)

Buon appetito!

Dar Buttaro
via della Lungaretta 156

8 Responses to “It’s What’s For Dinner”

1. Jack September 30, 2011 at 2:45 am #

Che schifo! Clearly catering to the zombies.

2. Michelle | Bleeding Espresso October 1, 2011 at 3:07 pm #

Butter brains go great with devil-style chicken and unfermented cheese, I hear.

3. Valerie October 12, 2011 at 8:43 am #

It sounds better in Italian (cervello al burro), almost (almost!) appetizing…if you don’t know what the hell “cervello” means. So is it smothered in butter? Fried in butter? Boh!

4. Sao@EverEverAfter October 19, 2011 at 10:09 pm #

So did you have it a go, did you taste it? i google “blog about rome”, and your blog pops up!! i’m going to visit Rome for the first time next month, so… reading this post, does give me a special touch of Rome… : )

5. Un'americana a Roma October 21, 2011 at 1:25 pm #

No way man! My culinary bravery does not extend to cervello, nor shall it ever, even if someone gets me so inebriated on Roman wine that I might be tempted… no! No! NO! Can’t do it.

6. Un'americana a Roma October 21, 2011 at 1:25 pm #

Yuck, gross, ew. Don’t want to know.

7. Un'americana a Roma October 21, 2011 at 1:26 pm #

Right you are my sweet! How are you anyways? Get your sederino up to Rome, will you?

8. Un'americana a Roma October 21, 2011 at 1:26 pm #

Yes apparently this zombie thing is molto di moda…