Pizzeria Florida

30 Mar

2012-03-22 12.39.36

Now, if you’ve only just recently joined us here, don’t go and get me confused with a “foodie blogger” or whatever that whole subsector of bloggers is called. That world is far out of my league.

No, folks, I just humbly eat food like a normal person and tell you if I like it or not. I have no qualifications for doing so other than tastebuds and the ability to blog.

My current vote for favorite “scissor pizza” in Rome is Pizzeria Florida at Largo Argentina, right across from the depot for streetcar #8, unfortunately not named desire.

Pizzeria Florida excels for many reasons:

1) It’s cheap. I like the pizza below with buffalo mozzarella and cherry tomatoes, but since I’m frequently poor-ish, I have to avoid it because it’s heavy. You do know that pizza al taglio (as Jessica lovingly refers to it way back in 2006: “scissor pizza”) is sold by weight, do you not? Therefore it’s a crime how much a pizza this loaded down with mozzarella can generally cost for just a slice or two. Not so at Pizzeria Florida. I think it goes for €1,30 for 100 grams. You can get a good helping for just a few €.

2012-03-22 12.39.31

2) It’s freaking delicious. How do they get their crust to be so incredibly flavorful, crispy and soft at the same time without being super greasy? I don’t know but it is heaven. The ingredients are fresh too.

3) It’s always crowded, thus testifying to its excellence.

4) It employs a number system. God bless them, every one.

2012-03-22 12.39.39

As you know, Romans do not know how to properly line up, so elbowing and sometimes shouting becomes a necessity. The first time I entered Pizzeria Florida I knew it would be a challenge. However, when the servers starting shouting out numbers like they do at the hospital when you’re waiting to deliver your pee cup (sorry for the yucky association when discussing food, but it is so), I knew I had found a true winner.

No arguments, just civility: I was here first, you weren’t, therefore, it’s my turn and not yours.

They are super friendly here too and there’s a ton of regulars.

In short, I love them, and therefore, so should you.

Amen.

Pizzeria Florida
Via Florida 25 (Largo Argentina)

18 Responses to “Pizzeria Florida”

1. mondomulia March 30, 2012 at 10:30 am #

Next time I’m in Rome: pizza al taglio at Florida followed by caffè completo at Cafffe Camerino!! 😉

2. Un'americana a Roma March 30, 2012 at 11:47 am #

Yes! Perfect.

3. anna l'americana March 30, 2012 at 2:10 pm #

I LOVED this place! It wasn’t open when I lived there, of course (I think back then it was a merceria of sorts….boh), but it was in business when I went in 2006 – I was staying in an apt behind v. delle Botteghe Oscure and a taglio a day became the ritual – their pizza is as yummy and ungreasy and fresh as you say and they had all the old standards as well as awesome non-traditional combos I can’t describe now but do recall how impossible it was to choose! Pizza e patate, I heart you….

4. Un'americana a Roma March 30, 2012 at 2:22 pm #

I know, I am amazed that I was gone for three years and when I came back it was still there and just as great. Also, bonus I forgot to mention: they sell water bottles for 70 cents. This is SO tourist-friendly. I love them. Anywhere else downtown will gauge you at least €2 or more.

5. LC March 30, 2012 at 3:41 pm #

Yum Yum, I can smell it , taste it, and am convinced It helps you speak better Italian, address noted, a visit soon,

Grazie Mille, buon weekend x

6. joanallegretti March 30, 2012 at 4:03 pm #

I love this place. I went there for lunch all the time when I was a student in Rome, and I tell everyone I know who’s visiting Rome about it. I love how inexpensive it is despite it’s awesome central location, and how you don’t sacrifice taste AT ALL for it’s price.

7. Rita V. March 30, 2012 at 4:37 pm #

I so wish I had been on Twitter and found your blog either of the last 2 times I’ve been to Rome! Who knew there were so many rich resources to tap into! I can honestly say that I will have notes with me from here for my next trip over, whenever that will be (hopefully 5 more years for my 50th!) Thanks for the great insider tips! Keep ’em coming!!

8. Un'americana a Roma March 30, 2012 at 7:31 pm #

You got it sister!

9. Un'americana a Roma March 30, 2012 at 7:31 pm #

Aw, so sweet! Glad to be of assistance. I love this place.

10. Why Rome? March 30, 2012 at 8:43 pm #

I just discovered this place several weeks ago, and immediately loved it. I’ve passed by it probably a thousand times, but for some reason never stopped to try the pizza. Now, I’m sorry I waited so long. I’m working on making up for lost time though. 😉 My favorite is also the cherry tomato, mozzarella and basil … YUM!

11. Un'americana a Roma March 30, 2012 at 10:53 pm #

Yes, I second that “yum” for sure.

12. Leah April 18, 2012 at 2:01 pm #

Definitely a winner! I was in Rome for a waeek in February 2011 and I just happened to stop in there for a slice (yes, with the mozzarella di bufala) and it blew my mind! I loved it so much that I walked all the way back there from Via Cavour on my last evening in Rome to enjoy it again for dinner!

13. Adrian July 4, 2012 at 2:07 pm #

I discovered this pizzeria when I came out from piazza navona and got curious about the empty lot in front where there were lots of cats lurking now and then. I went around and voila what a discovery. I had the pizza mozzarella de buff alla. There were no big holes in the dough but it certainly was top 3 on my roma pizza must eat list. Definitely tastier than at il fornaio at campo de fiori. Haven’t tasted pizzarium and da baffeto though. But surely, this pizzeria tops. This was way back in 2009.

14. Leah July 4, 2012 at 2:12 pm #

Went back there twice last month… as good as I had remembered it!

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. Tram 8 Depot Moves to Piazza Venezia | Un'americana a Roma - May 9, 2013

[…] to say so, because clearly I love this square. The gelato. The coffee. The coffee again. And again. The pizza. The theater. The dude named Amadeo who draws chalk murals on the sidewalk, and even merited a Part […]

2. Pizzeria Florida | thetrasteverina - May 31, 2013

[…] [Feature Image not my own, see – https://unamericanaaroma.com/2012/03/30/pizzeria-florida/%5D […]

3. Pizza Thattaway | Un'americana a Roma - June 22, 2013

[…] Point being, those poles with “PIZZA” and an arrow written on them are there to hold up the cables that the 8 tram connects to from above. And thus was born a new source of free advertising for my favorite, absolutely hands-down no-contest favorite, pizza al taglio in the city (full disclosure: I am not a foodie blogger and therefore must shun any and all references to Bonci. Perdonami but I just can’t get on the Bonci fan bandwagon. It’s just too reminiscent of when I worshipped NKOTB when I was in 7th grade. I guess that would be the modern-day equivalent of being a Justin Bieber fan.) PIZZERIA FLORIDA. […]

4. Italy on a Plate - The Week in Italian Food: April 1, 2012 - Food Lover's OdysseyFood Lover's Odyssey - March 3, 2015

[…] Pizzeria Florida (in Rome) – Una Americana a Roma […]