How the hell does the water turn on?

14 Apr

image

To use the water for your hands, push the pedal.

Ok. This is the first time in 8 years in Italy that I’ve seen a sign like this in a bathroom. It reminded me of 11 years ago, when I was in Italy for the first time, and I came out of the bathroom without washing my hands, totally and utterly perplexed.

“There’s no water!”

And yet, alas, the elusive pedal.

Just in case you, too, come to Italy and find yourself in a public restroom “without water” … look for the pedal on the floor.

But don’t the Italians already know this? Put the sign in English, for God’s sake!

Well, now you know. You can thank me later for your germ-free hands. It’s a small consolation after whatever horror you will have experienced with the restroom itself—no toilet paper, no toilet seat, hell, at times, no toilet at all! The fun never ends around here, folks. No, indeed!

7 Responses to “How the hell does the water turn on?”

1. D'Amore April 14, 2012 at 6:24 pm #

“…whatever horror you will have experienced with the restroom itself—no toilet paper, no toilet seat, hell, at times, no toilet at all! ”

And of course, my favorite: the WC troll.. ahem… I mean, old lady,that has the nerve to harass you for a TIP for “allowing” you to relieve yourself in these horrid conditions! LOL

2. Un'americana a Roma April 15, 2012 at 1:21 pm #

ha ha totally forgot about that. so lame!!!!

3. Jan's Travel and Tours April 16, 2012 at 4:20 am #

Thanks for that very informative post…..

4. Un'americana a Roma April 16, 2012 at 9:55 am #

Seriously, it’s these little things that you just wish someone had told you about before you came. Like, where the hell is the damn @ symbol on the Italian keyboard? Speaking of which…

5. Francesca Maggi April 16, 2012 at 10:10 am #

LOL! Love those pedals…I will be regaling the audience as one monologue in a terrific show taking place this April near Piazza Navona. One excerpt (from my book), is on the myriad ways of flushing in Italy…Including the illustrious floor pedal!

EQUAL & OPPOSITE REACTIONS coming soon to the English Theatre of Rome in Teatro Arciliuto — a fun night of comedy, tragedy and the absurd featuring new material & new faces onstage. We’ll be answering the question: What do an optimistic psychopath, a wannabe Frigidaire & a milk-obsessed expat have in common?

Thurs April 26 8pm – Sun April 29 5pm & 8pm – Mon April 30 8pm

Reservations recommended
    The English Theatre of Rome @ Teatro l’Arciluto
    Piazza Montevecchio 5 (zona Pace – Piazza Navona)

RSVP T: 06.6879419, SMS: 348.935.5626
    E: rometheatre@yahoo.com
    TICKETS: 15€, Reduced (students, clubs) 12€, Large Groups 10€

FMaggi, Author
    Burnt by the Tuscan Sun

6. Rita V. April 17, 2012 at 9:48 pm #

Hahaha!! This all rings so true! I remember my first visit to Italy! I remember thinking (initially) how cool it was that there were actual full length doors on the stalls, then walking in and thinking they had spent so much money on the stalls that they couldn’t afford the seats! I thought I was so silly for bringing my own toilet seat covers, then extremely thankful that I had them!
    It also took me a while to figure out what key is the @ key. Of course I forget the minute I leave. I’ll be hunting for it again next time I visit! Maybe I should write that down!

Thanks for the laugh!

7. Tam April 20, 2012 at 6:06 pm #

I am coming to Rome this weekend with my hubby. Glad I found your blog and wish I would have started reading it a month ago 🙂